• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

power attack w/ primary attack ?

joshjurg

Explorer
if I shapeshift (phb2) into the first form - predator and I use power attack with the primary and only attack of that form, does it work like power attacking with a two handed weapon for 1.5x damage ? I looked for a ruling on this, I may have missed it.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
You add 1.5x your Str bonus to damage when wielding a non-light weapon with two hands or when wielding a two-handed weapon. You also add 1.5x Str bonus to damage when using your only natural attack.

You add +2/-1 damage from Power Attack when wielding a non-light weapon with two hands or when wielding a two-handed weapon.

Since the feat makes no mention of sole natural attacks, these add +1/-1 as normal.

-Hyp.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
MacMathan said:
Perhaps I am having an obtuse moment but isn't a "sole natural attack" and "your only natural attack." the same thing?

Yes, same thing. And it affects your Str bonus to damage, but not your Power Attack damage.

-Hyp.

Michaluk

First Post
I'd say you get the x2

As DM I would rule that a reasonable interpretation of power attack would include anything where you get 1.5x you Str mod, so you would get it on the single natural attack.

Patlin

Explorer
Natural attacks get +1/-1 from power attack no matter how many of them you have. They aren't considered light weapons (and excluded from the bonus) and they aren't considered two handed weapons (with double the bonus) they're always +1 per -1.

entr0py

First Post
Michaluk said:
As DM I would rule that a reasonable interpretation of power attack would include anything where you get 1.5x you Str mod, so you would get it on the single natural attack.
Except that House rules belong in a different section of this board. ;)

joshjurg

Explorer
thanks for the help. I am glad to hear the answer was settled upon. Those natural attacks always confuse the heck outta me.

frankthedm

First Post
Michaluk said:
And it is not that reasonable. Alot of critters with a 1.5 attack have a huge attack bonus. Letting them drop it 2 for one really will really make thier damage out of hand.

Two for one with power attack is not restriction free.

Need 2 hands capable of wielding the weapon.
Have to have weapon out.
Need 2 hands occupied with weapon.
The weapon can get targeted, disarmed, sundered ...etc.

Plus Dragons get 1.5 str bonus on bite and tail attacks. 2 for 1 for those would be really bad.

Remove ads