Power attack while Coup De Grace?

Xahn'Tyr

First Post
Description: A combatant can use a melee weapon
to deliver a coup de grace to a helpless foe. A combatant can
also use a bow or crossbow, provided the combatant is adjacent to
the target. The attacker automatically hits and scores a critical
hit. If the target survives the damage, the target must make a
Fortitude save (DC 10 + damage dealt) or die.
Can you use the Power Attack feat when doing this? Since it's an automatic hit, it would seem pointless not to max out the power attack aye?

gfunk

First Post
Well, on the other hand, Power Attack is basically a manuever where one sacrifices accuracy for sheer damage. A Coup de Grace requires concentration and precise aiming (e.g. going for the jugular). It doesn't really seem possible to do both in the same move. But then again, it isn't covered specifically in the rules...

EOL

First Post
In my campaign I've let people use power attack on coup de grace's, but I can see gfunk's point that you're sacrificing accuracy for damage. My experience has been the additional damage from power attack is just overkill anyway, so I think you could safely say no without seriously nerfing the characters.

kengar

First Post
When we play, this usually comes up only when the enemy is reduced to negative HP & unconscious. As a result, I don't even have the players roll. Unless there is someone/something to stop them (another enemy attacking, etc.), they just do it and the guy is dead.

IMHO, IIRC, YMMV, etc., etc.

Last edited:

Christian

Explorer
kengar said:
When we play, this usually comes up only when the enemy is reduced to negative HP & unconscious. As a result, I don't even have the players roll. Unless there is someone/something to stop them (another enemy attacking, etc.), they just do it and the guy is dead.

Well, yeah, in that situation there's not much point-the target's bound to be reduced to -10. The real use for CdG is when the target is rendered unconscious by some means other than normal damage-subdual, sleep or hold spells, etc. It's certainly handy to do a lot of damage in one shot to something that has a good Fort save ...

hong

WotC's bitch
gfunk said:
Well, on the other hand, Power Attack is basically a manuever where one sacrifices accuracy for sheer damage.

Because D&D combat abstracts individual blows into one (or more) attack rolls, it's just as possible to see Power Attack as sacrificing speed or strength for precision. You aim for a precise spot on your target, so as to cause a greater amount of pain and suffering. The downside is that you get less blows in than normal (or only one), and hence have a lesser chance of causing damage. Hence a Power Attack can be considered to trade off either precision for power, or power for precision.

Either way, there's nothing stopping you from using it with a CdG. A CdG is simply a situation where you concentrate full-bore on taking down one target, and to heck with anyone else in the room. This can involve either slitting the throat (if you're a rogue), or biting the guy's head off (if you're a dire lion).

Deadguy

First Post
I have happily allowed a PC to use Power Attack whilst administering a coup de grce in my Shattered World campaign. And I Have no difficulty picturing the situation. Imagine the scene...

Ogion has just despatched the Great Orc warrior, but he can see a fight still going on between his companion and several Brown Orcs; he can see their Tribal Shaman still stands, so he rightly fears that maybe she will try and heal the Great Orc (as she will - I have noted they are partners!). Ogion can see that the Great Orc is still breathing, coughing bloody foam from his lungs. So, to the consternation of his copanion, he spends the round winding hismelf up, raising his ensorcelled greathammer above his head, and dodging the pitiful attack of one Orc who tries to stop him. With a mighty scream (echoed by the shaman), he brings down the hammer with all his strength (making a Power Attack 7) on the Great Orc's head and smashing his skull apart. Blood, brain matter (not much!) and bone (an awful lot!) spray the battlefield, covering Ogion is victorious gore!

Now he turns to the remaining battle; little does he realise that the shaman is now gunning for him...

See, it seems to fit the mold. A CdG can also be a powerful attack on an otherwise helpless target, striking for the heart or maybe justaiming to cut them in half! This is, after all, an heroic game, and people in heroic stories cut enemies in twain all the time! :D

Remove ads