Power Critical?

kreynolds

First Post
Real quick here I would just like to defend the people on the other side of the fence. Not that I "do", but if I "were" to pirate materials, I "would" do so and then determine if I liked the product. If I did like it, I would by it. If I didn't like it, I would delete it/throw it in the trash. It would just the same as buying the product, hating it, and returning it to get your money back. No harm, no foul.

Although, I'm not saying that I pirate materials, just "If I did.".

kreynolds

First Post
FullTinCan said:
Ah yes, the great MP3 debate. If I make a copy of a CD to an MP3 for back-up purposes, am I violating copyright? If I burn a CD for back-up purposes, am I violating copyright? If I use the burned CD at the same time that I am using the original, then yes it is illegal.

Duh. :)

IceBear

Explorer
kreynolds said:
Real quick here I would just like to defend the people on the other side of the fence. Not that I "do", but if I "were" to pirate materials, I "would" do so and then determine if I liked the product. If I did like it, I would by it. If I didn't like it, I would delete it/throw it in the trash. It would just the same as buying the product, hating it, and returning it to get your money back. No harm, no foul.

Although, I'm not saying that I pirate materials, just "If I did.".

And a few years ago that's exactly what I was doing. It just turned out that I learnt that if I was intriged in something enough to put in the time and effort to get it, 95% of the time I ended up buying it. Thus, I just stopped wasting time getting it illegally, and just cut to the case and bought it :)

Anyway, I can sorta understand that. People who just pirate because it's WotC, Microsoft, or some other large corp I don't get.

IceBear

Boone

First Post
IceBear said:

I don't like the fact that because someone has an issue with a corporation because it's so large then it's ok to shaft them.

IceBear

I think you have jumped to conclusions of the intent of some of the posts. No one has suggested that large companies should get the shaft because they are large.

What has been suggested is that when any company violates the "perceived" agreement with the consumer. That is that a company will provide a quality product for X amount of money. In exchange the consumer will respect the copy right laws so that said company can continue to produce quality products.

(Now don't confuse this and think that it has to pertain only to you.... )

If said consumer perceives that company did not provide a quality product then consumer could then feel that the contract has been voided and would feel no obligation to support the copy right laws and privelages of said company. (is this right? no... does this happen ..... YES)

It could be argued that WoTC is unethical due to that WoTC knows that because of the loyalty of its consumer base it is acceptable to cut corners and deliver an inferior product to market quicker and use errata to increase its web attivity. Not to mention the number of people who hang on the Sage Advice in its other revenue producing publications. So who is shafting who.....?

BTW does power attack apply to range weapons?

Anubis

First Post
This is ridiculous! This is ONE FEAT! Geez!

Forget about the illegality of what is going on here. This argument is the silliest thing I've ever heard. ONE FEAT.

Don't you guys have better things to do with your time, like perhaps playing D&D?

IceBear

Explorer
Anubis said:
This is ridiculous! This is ONE FEAT! Geez!

Forget about the illegality of what is going on here. This argument is the silliest thing I've ever heard. ONE FEAT.

Don't you guys have better things to do with your time, like perhaps playing D&D?

Actually, I'm stuck at work with nothing better to do :)

I couldn't care less about this argument.

IceBear

PS No, I wouldn't allow power attack to be used with ranged weapons because the rules clearly state that it applies only to melee attacks. If a player wanted to power attack with a thrown weapon, I might entertain the idea.

kreynolds

First Post
I won't allow power attack with a thrown hot dog, though. I don't care if it has relish on it too! Seriously though, I don't allow power attack on any kind of ranged attack what-so-ever. Just doesn't seem right to me.

IceBear

Explorer
No, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't allow it either, but if a player REALLY, REALLY, REALLY argued for it, I might allow it. But there are is no way that would be by the rules.

I'm not sure why he asked this question. In the context of his post I think he was trying to say that this feat was a bad example of WotC editing, but I can't see how. Thus, I was being neutral on it and providing a possible viewpoint where I might allow it (but that's slim).

IceBear

maddman75

First Post
Copyright is not so simple - in fact the eff is currently engaged in a lawsuit to have several of them thrown out as unconstitutional. The grounds are that the constitution specifies temporary monopoly on works - the constant extentions have made that effectively eternal.

I do MP3s. Off file sharing. And I have the right to do so. Why?

- to decide if I like this artist enough to buy their CD
- to recover tracks that I once had, but the media was destroyed
- to get hard to find live recordings, remixes, or unrealeased tracks not available at any price.

All this falls within fair use.

It is also within fair use to tell someone what a feat does, even verbatim. Especially when they are asking for your opinion on a book. Scanning the whole thing into .pdf and putting it out of ftp servers is a whole other story.

Software - open source, so there is no need to pirate. Better software is available for just about any task for no cost. I do make an exception and steal from Microsoft - its a guilty pleasure, but costing those monopolistic ******* money gives me warm fuzzies.

Vocenoctum

First Post
FullTinCan said:

That said, I would also agree with you that Wizards of the Coast frequently suffers from editting errors, but no worse than any other medium to large sized gaming company (about the only book without typos is the Bible).

"To our fellow priests, the word was celebrate, not celibate. Our bad, sorry."

Remove ads