D&D 5E Powergamer Cleric= Variant Human?

Zardnaar

Legend
Now the basic cleric is not actually that god at being a D&D cleric. That is even the war cleric is actually kind of bad being a traditional D&D cleric. This is assuming you are using the default array.Rolled sttas you can ignore this arguement.

The reason for this is MAD- multiple ability dependency. Consider a melee cleric probably wants strength (15+ if in heavy armor), wisdom, con, while dex may also be required if you are in medium armor especially if you can't use finesse weapons.

The other thing is ASIs, you get so few of them even if you went dex based cleric for example you are giving up ASIs to increase dexterity rather than wisdom.

This does not apply of course to characters with high rolled stats, ones that find gauntlets of ogre power etc. Its also doesn't apply to clerics that ey everything off wisomd and function more as a primary caster. That would be a light or arcana cleric for example and they can easily have a 1 wisdom, 14 dex/con and buff wisdom and be happy.

Now however there is a way around this. The Nature cleric can cast chillagh since it picks up a Druid cantrip. You can wear medium armor, soak up 1 less AC and similar to things like light and arcana clerics you can key everything off wisdom including your melee attacks. This matters latter on where the "melee" cleric should be using spiritual guardians, clerics that don;t basically stink at melee. This is also why I think nature clerics are better at melee than things like war and tempest clerics. The way a staff+ shillelagh interacts with polearm master is also funny. If you want a beat down cleric that is good at spells and spell buffing play a nature cleric in medium armor.

However if feats are used the variant human can have 16, 14, 14 with the default array and pick up a feat such as magic initiate taking shillagh, another cantrip and a level 1 Druid spell (faerie fire?). This means any cleric can now function like a nature cleric while a nature cleric takes pole arm master for staff based beatdown.

Now this means things like a spell buffed arcanac cleric using shillelagh+ green flame lade can actually put out very respectable damage. For example at level 8 you deal weapon damage wisdom damage X2 (shillagh+ lvl 8 arcana cleric), 1d8+ wisdom splash damage plus potentially 4d8 spiritual guardian damage. Spiritual guardians lasts 10 minutes and you can cast it 5 times/long rest. You can have an 18 wisdom+ warcaster for 1d8+8+ 1d8+4splash+ 4d8 15'.

War and tempest clerics may also be better off going staff and board and wearing metal armor and maxing out there wisdom score since they have spells+ class abilities keyed off wisdom. Death clerics get a fairly decent smite so once again pull out that staff.

So my arguement is should every cleric under the sun be using the magic initiate feat to pick up shillagh? At least from a min/max PoV.

Generally I don't see a lot of clerics being played, I am my parties healer (celestial warlock+ healer feat). Most people don't seem to know this cleric combo though.

I thought Arcana Cleric+GFB/BB + Shillagh is fairly obvious.

I also think it bacially shows that few players are pure power gamers. People don't play it because it just doesn't feel like an convincing interesting character.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
I think you are over estimating the impact of going from a 16 in your attack stat to a 20 for a class that does little attack damage. Wisdom is the important stat for all clerics.

That too. Clerics are great casters with a good AC. They don't really need to be rocking out fighter-like melee damage, once they get a few levels in they will be too busy casting proper spells to go round hitting things with a wooden stick, no mater how supercharged.

Word of Radiance is a bit of an underrated gem for any cantrip damage clerics (not to mention divine soul sorcerers), and you don't need to use a feat or pick an obscure domain to get it.

Last edited:

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It really depends on what tier you're intending to play to. If the game is primarily going to be Tier 1-2, than buffing up your melee attack makes sense. If your primary focus of play is Tier 2-3 or higher, than it probably isn't worth it to spend the feats or multiclass dips just to give yourself a better at-will option.

A few other ways you can buff up the cleric at low levels:

1) Hill dwarf nature cleric. You can dump both Str and Dex, since you can wear heavy armor with no speed penalty. Perfect stat adjustments to get 16 Wis and Con. Downside is no feat, of course.
2) Fighter 1 dip to grab dueling, so with PAM you have an 1d6+2+stat/1d4+2+stat attack routine with shield bonus to AC. You can also grab another domain if you wanted, since fighter gives you armor and weapon proficiences, plus Con save for concentration. Downside is you have to wait to 5 to grab shillelagh via magic initiate unless you go nature.

If the argument is that any cleric should prioritize shillelagh, especially moving into Tier 2+, then I'd say that's a cautious yes. But since clerics really have a lot of feat and ASI needs (getting Wis to 20, buffs to concentration with either Resilient(Con) or War Caster), I don't know if I'm thrilled with the idea of burning a feat on Magic Initiate to do it. It's a great perk of Nature clerics, or even a Druid dip if your DM is lenient on the metal armor issue.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
From an optimization perspective: Instead of taking shillelagh use the variant human feat for healer or warcaster. When your making a single fairly low damage attack maxing out a little more damage and chance to hit on it isn’t very important. Keeping concentration or being able to heal out of combat without spells are much better abilities.

or don’t start variant human and get 16 str 16 wis starting out and then up to 18/18. You take a small hit in wis and melee damage to do both well without needing a feat.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
I think Forge Cleric still makes your best melee cleric. You don't need shillelagh. It's an overrated spell. It does not hold up well beyond low levels, because that d8 never goes up, and that just cannot keep up with expected damage outputs at higher levels regardless of your Wisdom.

You will need strength, but it doesn't need to be maxed because you can make a magic weapon. And by 4th or 8th level you take magic initiate and take booming blade. Go with this Forge Cleric for a fun, effective build. Either variant human (feat earlier) or hill dwarf (warhammer and shield, higher hit points).

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
I mean... I see a lot of Clerics. Two of them currently in my home group. Tempest and War. Both are pretty happy with their characters.
I am not sure I have seen a 5e group yet without a Cleric.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases