PrC - Axe Thrower

Azure Trance

First Post
The axe thrower in 7 Seas was great in concept but in my opinion much too overpowered. Here is my version.

Axe Thrower v1.0
Pre-Req

• Feats & Skills: Weapon Focus (Throwing Axe), Point Blank, Wilderness Lore 4
  • Base Attack Bonus: +4 BAB
  • Ability Score: Dex 13+

Hit Dice: d10
Skill Points Per Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Level 1 - BAB +1 - Fort +2 / Ref +0 / Will +0 - Quickdraw w/ Axes
Level 2 - BAB +2 - Fort +3 / Ref +0 / Will +0 - Rapid Shot w/ Axes
Level 3 - BAB +3 - Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +1 - 20 Foot Range
Level 4 - BAB +4 - Fort +4 / Ref +1 / Will +1 - +2 Damage w/ Axes
Level 5 - BAB +5 - Fort +4 / Ref +1 / Will +1 - Improved Critical w/ Axes

I'm not very good with fluff or formatting, so forgive me. On a power rating scale, I'd give this an 8 out of 10 - for hurling axes only (and a wee bit for melee combat). By 9th level this designed-for-NPC-use-prestige-class character is quite good at his profession, and as far as an axe thrower could go, I don't see why they'd have to be any higher level to be especially proficent in this one weapon. I was mostly inspired by the Goth invasion scene in Gladiator, where a hail of axes came out of the forest toward the Romans.*

The +4 BAB requirement is left over from the original class design. I've only picked two feats to make it accessible to barbarians (1st and 3rd level). The wilderness lore skill requirement is straight from the original design. Quick draw and rapid shot are self-explanatory - at 1st level the character can throw an axe in one hand and immediately arm himself with another as a free action; at 2nd level he can throw both axes in his hands. Third level improves the range to something more respectable, so said axe thrower need not be immediately charged and bullrushed after the first volley. The last two bonuses were to address my concerns on the low damage potential of the throwing axe at a paltry d6.

At 9th level, the master axe thrower can throw three (or four? Would quick draw allow the offhand to benefit from the feat as well?) axes at d6+2 (19-20/x2) damage. The class bonuses could be seen as essentially four feats; quick draw, rapid shot, weapon spec. (though not titled as such) and improved critical. For a five level prestige class it would seem like a lot, considering a fighter could easily accomplish these abilities in no time. But the poor barbarian is left out in the cold, and he still needs something for his power attack and cleave.

I eagerly await your responses.

*May not have actually happened and could be my imagination.

Chacal

First Post
I think this PrC only marginally add something to a barbarian. By taking 4 levels of fighter he would get 3 feats.
I guess it's not underpowered, but it would have been cooler to have a more specific ability.
I don't see the class skills in your description. If they're closer to the barbarian list, then maybe it would raise a bit the interest without adding too much power. Some bonus to the (which ?)craft skill that concerns axes would be nice for repairing your axes .

Just my 2 cts...

Chacal

Darklone

Players Guide to Faerun had the Axethrower feat that allows you to throw with your strength mod to hit... Wouldn't that be an idea? In that book, it's a Regional feat, thus not easily obtainable...

Azure Trance

First Post
Thanks for the commentary fellas. This one should be better, no?

Axe Thrower v1.1
Pre-Req

• Feats & Skills: Weapon Focus (Throwing Axe), Point Blank, Wilderness Lore 4
  • Base Attack Bonus: +4 BAB
  • Ability Score: Dex 13+
Hit Dice: d10
Skill Points Per Level: 2 + Int Modifier

Level 1 - BAB +1 - Fort +2 / Ref +0 / Will +0 - Improved Accuracy
Level 2 - BAB +2 - Fort +3 / Ref +0 / Will +0 - Improved Speed
Level 3 - BAB +3 - Fort +3 / Ref +1 / Will +1 - Improved Range
Level 4 - BAB +4 - Fort +4 / Ref +1 / Will +1 - Improved Damage
Level 5 - BAB +5 - Fort +4 / Ref +1 / Will +1 - Improved Critical

Weapon & Armor Prof.
The axe thrower is knowledgable with simple and martial weapons, and can wear light and medium armor.

Class Skills
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), and spot (Wis).

Class Notes

Improved Accuracy:
The character can use his strength modifier instead of his dexterity modifer while throwing axes
Improved Speed: The character has the Quickdraw and Rapid Shot feat while armed with axes.
Improved Range: Throwing axes now have a range of 20 feet instead of 10 feet.
Improved Damage: The character gains a +2 bonus to damage while armed with axes.
Improved Critical: The character gains access of the Improved Critical feat while armed with axes.

Sniktch

First Post
Unless the intention is to allow them to stack, as some classes do.

Looks good, I think. A minor note:

Improved Range: Throwing axes now have a range increment of 20 feet instead of 10 feet.

The intent is primarily an NPC prestige class, right? I'll see about throwing a group of them against my players next time we play and give you feedback on how they work out. I can think of the perfect place to use a band of savage tomohawk throwing natives :D

Crothian

First Post
I think it looks pretty good.

Any idea on what class skills to give them?

I might also give them proficency in any exotic axes, not that I know of any.

Edit: maybe even give them the ability to throw axes that can't normally be thrown.

Last edited:

Remove ads