PrC for a Monk.

Akhkharu

First Post
please comment on this PrC class for monks. I am still working on it and would like some honest feedback.
I also posted it Here
Thanks.

Sephiroth (Seph-ehr-ohs)
Infinite brought into finite

Description:
A blinding flash and the ogre that was chasing you tumbles to the ground, it’s head twisted at an unusual angle. Looking up you see a lone figure, the red glow surrounding him slowly diminishing as the morning sun catches the red highlights in his wind blown black hair. Slowly he lifts his head, bringing his eyes to meet yours. You notice, as you lock eyes that his eyes are completely red, like molten lava or living fire. You turn to run, more afraid of him then you were of the ogre when suddenly he’s beside you, his red tinged hand clasping fast to your arm. He speaks to you, his voice the crackling of a roaring fire. The startled look on your face, one of scared confusion causes him to try again. This time his words are not so harsh yet you still hear the distinct crackling of a fire as you hear him speak. “Do not be frightened. I am Raysin, the Sephiroth.”

Requirements
Alignment: Any Lawful, though usually Lawful Neutral
Skills: Tumble 10 ranks
Jump 10 ranks
Move Silently 5 ranks
Hide 5 ranks
Feats: Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Trip
Special: Must be able to speak either: Aquan, Auran, Ignan, or Terran

Class Features:
Hit Dice: d8
Class Skills: The Sephiroth's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points: 4 + Int

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Sephiroth are proficient with basic peasant weapons and special weapons whose use is part of Sephiroth training. The full list includes club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger, handaxe, javelin, kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, shuriken, siangham, and sling.
A Sephiroth using a kama, nunchaku, or siangham can strike with his or her unarmed base attack, including her more favorable number of attacks per round (see below). His or her damage, however, is standard for the weapon (1d6, crit X2), not his or her unarmed damage. The weapon must be light, so a Small Sephiroth must use Tiny versions of these weapons in order to use the more favorable base attack.
A Sephiroth adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to AC, in addition to her normal Dexterity modifier, and her AC improves as she gains levels. (Only add this extra AC bonus if the total of the Sephiroth's Wisdom modifier and the number in the "AC Bonus" column is a positive number.) The Wisdom bonus and the AC bonus represent a preternatural awareness of danger, and a Sephiroth does not lose either even in situations when he or she loses her Dexterity modifier due to being unprepared, ambushed, stunned, and so on. (Sephiroth’s do lose these AC bonuses when immobilized.)
When wearing armor, a Sephiroth loses her AC bonus for Wisdom, AC bonus for class and level, favorable multiple unarmed attacks per round, and heightened movement. Furthermore, her special abilities all face the arcane spell failure chance that the armor type normally imposes.

Special Abilities:
Chosen Element: The Sephiroth must choose an element (fire, earth, air, or water). Once chosen it cannot be changed with anything short of a wish spell.

Features Change: Starting at 1st level, the Sephiroth begins to go through a metamorphosis. See Chart below for information on the change.

Elemental Attack: Once per day per level, the Sephiroth can call forth the power of his chosen element to deal additional elemental damage and can only be used with unarmed attacks. This ability must be declared before the attack and if the attack misses, it still counts towards the daily limit. Once an elemental attack is declared, the Sephiroth glow brightly (see chart below) and after the attack is made, the glow begins to fade slowly ending the following round. At first level, the Sephiroth deals an additional d8 points of elemental damage related to the Sephiroth’s chosen element. This increases to d10 at level 4 and d12 at level 8. See chart below for types of damage.

Element Protection: As the Sephiroth starts to embrace the changes that he is going through, he begins to feel a comfort towards his chosen element and gains protection from his chosen element. Starting at second level, the Sephiroth ignores the first 10 points of damage from his chosen element. This increases by 10 every even level after second.

Element Vulnerability: With the protection granted with Element Protection comes certain vulnerability. At level two, Sephiroth takes double damage from vulnerable element (See chart below) except on a successful save.

Elemental Strike: Starting at third level, a Sephiroth’s unarmed attack is empowered with the elements. The unarmed strike damage from such an attack can deal damage to a creature with damage reduction as if the blow were made with a weapon with a +1 enhancement bonus. This increases to +2 at level 5, +3 at level 7 and +4 at level 9. Elemental strike is a supernatural ability. This is similar to the monk’s ki strike.

Elemental Form: The Sephiroth has become so in tuned with his element that he can change into a medium elemental of his chosen type. This is useable one times a day and last for a number of rounds equal to Sephiroth x WIS modifier. This increases to a large elemental at level 9. The duration of the Elemental Form need not be consecutive rounds.

Elemental Self: At level 10, the Sephiroth has become so altered that he is forevermore treated as an Elemental of his chosen type and gains all the elemental immunities (Immune to poison, sleep, paralysis, and stunning. Not subject to critical hits.). Furthermore, Sephiroth gains damage reduction 10/+2 but they cannot benefit from the Monk’s Perfect Self.

Base Fort Ref Will
Level Attack Bonus Save Save Save Special
----- ------------ ---- ---- ---- -------
1 +0 +0 +0 +0 Chosen Element
Elemental Attack (+d8)
2 +1 +1 +1 +1 Element Protection (10)
Element Vulnerability
3 +2 +1 +1 +1 Elemental Strike (+1)
4 +3 +2 +2 +2 Elemental Form (medium)
Elemental Attack (+d10)
Element Protection (20)
5 +3 +2 +2 +2 Elemental Strike (+2)
6 +4 +3 +3 +3 Element Protection (30)
7 +5 +3 +3 +3 Elemental Strike (+3)
8 +6 +4 +4 +4 Elemental Attack (+d12)
Element Protection (40)
9 +6 +4 +4 +4 Elemental Form (large)
Elemental Strike (+4)
10 +7 +5 +5 +5 Elemental Self

Unarmed AC Unarmored Unarmed
Level Attack Bonus Bonus Speed Strike**
----- ------------ ----- --------- --------
1 +0 +1 +0 ft. Increase
2 +1 +1 +10 ft.
3 +2 +1 +10 ft. Increase
4 +3 +2 +10 ft.
5 +3 +2 +20 ft.
6 +4/1 +2 +20 ft. Increase
7 +5/2 +3 +20 ft.
8 +6/3 +3 +30 ft.
9 +6/3 +3 +30 ft. Increase
10 +7/4/1 +4 +30 ft.
** Unarmed damage increase to the next stack of damage. See Chart below.

Unarmed
Strike
-----------
1d3 – 1d4 1d4 – 1d6
1d6 – 1d8 1d8 – 1d10
1d10 – 2d6 2d6 – 2d8
2d8 – 2d10 2d10 – 3d8
3d8 – 3d10 3d10 – 3d12

Features Change: Metamorphosis
Character Type of Physical
Level Element Change
------------ ----------- ----------
1 Fire Eyes turn red with yellow
Earth Eyes turn dark green with brown
Air Eyes turn white with light blue
Water Eyes turn dark blue with light blue

3 Fire Hair begins to get red highlights
Earth Hair begins to get green highlights
Air Hair begins to get white highlights
Water Hair begins to get blue highlights

5 Fire Skin takes on a red tinge
Earth Skin takes on a green tinge
Air Skin takes on a white tinge
Water Skin takes on a blue tinge

7 Fire Height increase by d4 inches
Earth Height decreases by d6 inches
Air Height increase by d6 inches
Water Height decreases by d4 inches

9 Fire Weight decreases by d6 x 10 lbs*
Earth Weight increases by d8 x 10 lbs*
Air Weight decreases by d8 x 10 lbs*
Water Weight increases by d6 x 10 lbs*
· Small races - dice and multiplier decrease by ½ (ex: halfling takes air as element, dice is now d4 x 5)
· Large races - dice and multiplier increase by ½ (ex: giant takes earth as element, dice is now d12x15)
· Max decrease to ½ original weight (ex: halfling weight of 34 takes air as element would decrease weight by max of 17)
· Max increase to ½ original weight (ex: halfling weight of 34 takes earth as element would increase weight by max of 17)

Damage Glow
Element Type Vulnerability Color
---------- --------- ---------------- -------
Fire Fire Cold Red
Earth Acid Electricity Green
Air Electricity Fire White
Water Cold Acid Blue

**Edit** Fixed the changes as discussed below.
**Edit** Added in description and name

Last edited:

Velenne

Explorer
Looks great so far and I love the concept! Here's a few things I noticed:

1.) You need a name! :p

2.) It would seem that the monk is still gaining his speed bonus, monk ac, unarmed attack bonuses, and improved unarmed damage that a regular monk gets (sometimes even better than a monk). I may suggest limiting these greatly since the PrC is already giving the monk enhanced abilities beyond that of a single-class monk.

3.) When changing to the Elemental Form, does the character become an elemental equal to his HD? A medium elemental? What if he's a small monk? And the duration is PrC level TIMES Wis or plus Wis? It is written as level x Wis. I'm confused. Please elaborate.

4.) BY PELOR'S GOLDEN BALLS! They get five increases to unarmed damage?? Yikes!! See #2.

5.) I don't know where the BAB is coming from. It's not one of the three standard progressions: wizard (1/2 x lvl), cleric (3/4 x lvl), or fighter(1 x lvl). In addition, they're still getting all better saves. There needs to be some kind of tradeoff. Something a character would really be missing out on if he doesn't continue taking levels of monk, but balances out with the new abilities he's getting with the PrC.

6.) You might want to make the height and weight increases/decreases proportional. For instance, what if I'm playing a halfling (NAME) who takes the Air Chosen Element, rolls for his weight decrease, and ends up being weightless?

7.) All in all, it's a great concept but you may want to take a look at some of the monk PrC's from Oriental Adventures and Sword & Fist to see how WotC balances them out with the standard class. Keep with it though; I'm interested in seeing the final product!

Akhkharu

First Post
It would seem that the monk is still gaining his speed bonus, monk ac, unarmed attack bonuses, and improved unarmed damage that a regular monk gets (sometimes even better than a monk). I may suggest limiting these greatly since the PrC is already giving the monk enhanced abilities beyond that of a single-class monk.
I wanted to keep the speed, unarmed attacks, AC and damage at about the same as the Monk. Now that I have the Monk's info infront of me, I see that I went over what it is originally. How's this:
Speed - decrease it to a total of +30 at level 10 instead of +50
Unarmed attacks - decrease this to +7/+4/+1 instead of +8/+5/+2. Still want to keep it high so as to keep up with the fighters but not so high that they are even.
AC - decrease it to +4 at level 10. This is 1 higher then what the monk would have if he took this PrC from level 7, earliest to level 17. Monk at level 18 is +3. It still works to +4 at level 20.
When changing to the Elemental Form, does the character become an elemental equal to his HD? A medium elemental? What if he's a small monk? And the duration is PrC level TIMES Wis or plus Wis? It is written as level x Wis. I'm confused. Please elaborate.
- I like that idea about hit dice, so what about equal to his character level? So at level 20 would be a huge elemental
- Was thinking PrC TIMES Wis, which would give at level 10monk/10(NAME) with max Wis, no magic bonuses of (10 x 6 (23 wis)) = 60. Yikes, that is a lot.
- With PrC PLUS Wis, would give at level 10monk/10(NAME) with max Wis, no magic bonuses of (10 + 6 (23 wis)) = 16. Doesn’t seem like a lot to me.
Any suggestions on how to fix this?
BY PELOR'S GOLDEN BALLS! They get five increases to unarmed damage?? Yikes!! See #2.
- decrease it to 4 increases at level 1, 3, 6, 9
I don't know where the BAB is coming from. It's not one of the three standard progressions: wizard (1/2 x lvl), cleric (3/4 x lvl), or fighter(1 x lvl). In addition, they're still getting all better saves. There needs to be some kind of tradeoff. Something a character would really be missing out on if he doesn't continue taking levels of monk, but balances out with the new abilities he's getting with the PrC.
- looked at this and you're right. Will start it at 0 then increase all saves by 1 every even level (2,4,6,8,10) for a total of +5 to all saves.
You might want to make the height and weight increases/decreases proportional. For instance, what if I'm playing a halfling (NAME) who takes the Air Chosen Element, rolls for his weight decrease, and ends up being weightless?
- max decrease to ½ original weight (ex: halfling weight of 34 takes air as element would decrease weight by max of 17)
- max increase to ½ original weight (ex: halfling weight of 34 takes earth as element would increase weight by max of 17)
- small races - dice and multiplier decrease by ½ (ex: halfling takes air as element, dice is now d4 x 5)
- large races - dice and multiplier increase by ½ (ex: giant takes earth as element, dice is now d12x15)
All in all, it's a great concept but you may want to take a look at some of the monk PrC's from Oriental Adventures and Sword & Fist to see how WotC balances them out with the standard class. Keep with it though; I'm interested in seeing the final product!
- I would like to but I don’t have either book and won’t have access to any until the next time I play. Now I just want to get the basis for the PrC then once I get to look at either book, change it as needed.

Keep the comments comming :)

Last edited:

Remove ads