[PrC] Grandmaster

Victim

First Post
Basically, I'm trying to work on a PrC for warrior type classes that's similar in function to the Archmage or Heirophant from the FR setting. For those of you that don't have the setting, you can download the classes in a PDF thing released by the RPGA. I don't have link though. Both of those classes provide nifty extra abilities in exchange for some spell casting ability.

First of all, I'm thinking d8 HD and moderate (.75*level) base attack. These drawbacks should help to mae up for the hefty bonus each special trick will provide.

I haven't decided what the good saves should be. I want a more evasive and mental focus, since idiots scrapping by on sheer power and toughness aren't really the kind of weapon masters I'm envisioning. Maybe I'll find those moderate saves numbers and give those in each if I can't decide.

Prereqs: Power attack, Expertise, Dodge, weapon focus, IMp. Crit
BaB +13

8 ranks Concentration
8 ranks Sense Motive

Master Techniques: I've having trouble finding ways to balance cool abilities with possible combinations and requirements.

Here's some early ideas

Combat Mastery:

Chose a weapon that you have focus and Imp. Crit in: you gain a +3 competence bonus to attack with that weapon. (simple, probably availible initially)

Combat Supremacy:

You dismantle lesser combatants with ease. Opponents without +10 bab and weapon focus in the weapon they're using provoke an AoO from you when they attack you in melee. Req: combat reflexes

Sweeping attack:

"They didn't bring enough guys."

When your great cleave triggers, you get 2 bonus attacks instead of one. Req: Great Cleave

Resilence

"You call that a hit?!"

When struck in melee, you can attempt a Fort save to take 1/2 damage. Re1: Iron Will, Toughness.

Defensive Trick:

Haha, fooled you. This is really 3 abilities, but they're mutually exclusive.

Canny defense
Flowing motion
Personal Grace

Int, wis, Cha to AC as a dodge bonus respectivelly.

Offensive Style:

Calulated Attack
No Thought
Supreme Confidance

Int Wis, or Cha respecively to melee attack and damage
This one needs some hefty requirements or other drawbacks. I looted the idea from an OA PrC and like the concept, but it's too powerful. Maybe 1/2 STR mod to damage on all attacks.

I'll return to post more and hopefully clean this up.

Some ideas that I've yet to work out well enough include:

Kick 'em while their down
adaptive attack
Mighty swing
Feedback Welcome!

RiotGear

First Post
I like the idea

Here's some help:

Kick em' While They're Down: Just give them the Rogue special ability Opportunist.

Adaptive Attack: Penetrate damage reduction on AoO's.

Mighty Swing: Give your opponent a free AoO. If they hit, your attempt is nullified. If they miss or elect not to take it for some reason, you deal an automatic critical hit.

Victim

First Post
Re: I like the idea

RiotGear said:
Here's some help:

Kick em' While They're Down: Just give them the Rogue special ability Opportunist.

Adaptive Attack: Penetrate damage reduction on AoO's.

Mighty Swing: Give your opponent a free AoO. If they hit, your attempt is nullified. If they miss or elect not to take it for some reason, you deal an automatic critical hit.

I was thinking of including opportunist as a separate ability. I was thinking of having Kick 'em give extra bonuses in some way in situations where the defender is a bad position. Something like getting AoO against Stunned and prone targets and etc. when someone is under a baleful special effect, you make worse.

Adaptive attack was going to do something about situational attack modifiers. For example, you'd be better able to defend when prone or climbing, and get extra benefits from height. It'd be similar to the special power from the 2e High Level book

Mighty Swing was going to trade in iterative attacks during a full attack for extra damage.

However, I had something similar in mind for a Wild Rage attack. Maybe change the automatic crit to an automatic threat so your attack roll just confirms it. Maybe tie into the concentration skill required.

Crothian

First Post
I think you really need to give this the best base attack. Let them sacrifice attacks, AC, Damage, or speed to increase something else. But a grandmaster fighter needs the best base attack for the increased number of attacks.

Victim

First Post
I was worried that people would end up canceling the penalties from certain tricks with the benefits of others and still come out way ahead. Rather then having to compare each ability and see if one can combine them abusively, I figured it would be easier to start with a poor base case and work upwards. I also wanted the abilities to be fairly modular, so it'd be easy to add new prestige class powers to this class's list of moves.

Also, it's a 5 level class that requires +13 base attack. I don't think any character class would lose an iterative attack by taking this class. Delay them for a few levels yes, but not lose them. I planned on working a way to get extra attacks in there as well.

Finally, I figured that people might be interested in taking the Mastery technique to gain a large competence to attack, or in taking the "add an additional mod to attack and damage" power.

--------------------------------------------------------

That remeinds me:

Lightning Attack:

A grandmaster with this technique can make one additional melee attack in a round if he/she takes a -2 penalty to all attack rolls. This feat does NOT require the full attack action.

One Strike, Two Cuts from an OA class combined with flurry of blows. It's worse than one-two because one gets a penalty but also can add an attack in full attack. I might have to split this one up.
--------------------------------------
BTW, Riot Gear, I didn't mean to rudely ignore your input. However, I had already envisioned what I wanted each ability to do, just not the exact mechanical benefits.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Remove ads