Pregnancy and newborns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't allow it. Period. Aside from the absurdity of a pregnant woman being on campaign, it places the GM in a terrible position regarding the situation.

It helps that I game with nothing but adults in their 30s+; we don't need to detail sex in game beyond:

Player: 'I spent X money on whores'

GM: 'OK.' Rolls die. "You heard a rumor, check the site."

As to what game designers intend or desired, all I can say is that if they knew what they were doing, I wouldn't have house rules or a modified setting. They're just to provide me with an outline that I breathe to life, because my time is worth a lot more than theirs (I recently fond out how little they earn :.-().

Asimovian

Explorer
I wouldn't allow it. Period. Aside from the absurdity of a pregnant woman being on campaign, it places the GM in a terrible position regarding the situation.

It helps that I game with nothing but adults in their 30s+; we don't need to detail sex in game beyond:

Player: 'I spent X money on whores'

GM: 'OK.' Rolls die. "You heard a rumor, check the site."

As to what game designers intend or desired, all I can say is that if they knew what they were doing, I wouldn't have house rules or a modified setting. They're just to provide me with an outline that I breathe to life, because my time is worth a lot more than theirs (I recently fond out how little they earn :.-().

Geez.

It's troubling - the mysogyny and arrogance expressed in some of the posts in this thread. I think some of us could be more considerate of others, and less judgemental.

I believe you are reading more into posts than is intended. For example, I've dealt with too many dead babies in my career to include them in my games, even indirectly. However, since I have no female players in my current group, it is a moot point.

Gaming is inherently judgmental, especially for GMs; settings are modified, rules are altered, entire games are found wanting. Most of us are running campaigns in which gross violence is the intended path to personal development (not my group*).

* = they engage in gross violence because they enjoy gross violence.

In sci-fi, it's easy, because everyone is a born from a bag.

I've seen this play out in a number of science fiction franchises. The first that comes to mind for me are the uterine replicators in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. The Vorkosigan Saga Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game includes some basic rules around these, including portable units. GURPS Biotech and GURPS Ultra-Tech also include fairly extensive information about possible futuristic artificial wombs.

The "born from a bag" makes me think that in a magic-rich world where you can design spells, there would be, for queens and adventuresses, Leomund's Remote Womb.

Yes. A magical analog of this sort of reproductive technology seems quite likely in a fantasy world. Love this idea. In addition to spells, I can imagine magical items in the palaces of the wealthy. Perhaps they hire sages to read from Learned Works 24-7.

Asimovian

Explorer
I believe you are reading more into posts than is intended. For example, I've dealt with too many dead babies in my career to include them in my games, even indirectly. However, since I have no female players in my current group, it is a moot point.

Gaming is inherently judgmental, especially for GMs; settings are modified, rules are altered, entire games are found wanting. Most of us are running campaigns in which gross violence is the intended path to personal development (not my group*).

* = they engage in gross violence because they enjoy gross violence.

With respect, I disagree with your comment. There are several posts in this thread which express chauvinistic attitudes toward pregnancy, and one post which does the same toward people of lower income.

I'm done with being complacent about hurtful behaviour. We all have a responsibility to be civil to each other.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
I've seen this play out in a number of science fiction franchises. The first that comes to mind for me are the uterine replicators in Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan Saga. The Vorkosigan Saga Sourcebook and Roleplaying Game includes some basic rules around these, including portable units. GURPS Biotech and GURPS Ultra-Tech also include fairly extensive information about possible futuristic artificial wombs.

Vorkosigan saga is also what came to mind where I first heard it, though I guess it dates farther back even into SF with Huxley's Brave New World, except in a more sinister manner for the Delta's and such. In the game I'm running, one player has talked of mothering a brood of hybrid Wolf-Human babies, esp now as the other PC was killed in a rescue attempt. I guess though, we shall see; it's not for me as GM to control what the player's do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads