Pregnancy and newborns...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
This has not been the case in my experience. Rather, I see realism cited as a way to increase verisimilitude. And, for some, the greater the verisimilitude, the greater the fun.
And more power to you. I haven't seen a coherent argument for "realism" yet. Mostly, it's used as an excuse to levy more strict rules on players in very narrow areas while ignoring lack of it in others. It's a stand in for "preference" and not, at all, any real attempt to model "realism." As such, it's usually used to support DM's whim or as an end unto itself rather than an input into consideration for what actually makes a better game. Adherence to "realism" is how we end up with this thread, and also the rampant misogyny of applying appalling in-game penalties to female characters absent any actual thinking.

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
You don't get to assign me homework to satisfy your curiosity because you couldn't be bothered to read the thread.
My intent was to ask a casual question in an effort to break into the conversation. I did not expect a response, and certainly did not feel entitled to one.

But, since you've chosen to respond with irrational and caustic rudeness, I think I'll find a thread less populated by irritated and irritating folks. Good day.

delph

Explorer
This whole thread just strikes me as "things better off left out of a D&D game".

1. The pregnant female sorcerer character is being played by a guy?
2. The guy player is - you mentioned previously - the one single guy in your gaming group?
3. So the one single guy in the group is making the rest of the party sit there while he (as a female character) has extended dice-rolling sex fantasy encounters with an NPC?
4. And the encounter (strikes me as) trivializes sex, pregnancy, and childbirth down to "roll on a Wild Pregnancy table"?

Just... so much nope.
1. His character was human man, but resurrection made him drow woman... and he is still dealing with it.
2. He is not single, but only without children.
3. We had some times when sombody from group wasn't with others and can't play...
4. And how do you deal with it? In Reall it's close to "invisible roll" for it. You can or can't be.

And in last game we done wedding, buy baby cradle... and hey, it bring us much more life to our characteres than we had before. It was only come, watch, talk, kill... not necceserly in this order.

No, I think they're pointing out the actual misogyny. Protip: who pays for whores for whom has nothing to do with the misogyny on display in this thread.
90 percent of the time that realism is cited in my games has resulted in a widening of the scope of what players can do.

Maybe this is less of a realism problem for your friends and more of an imagination one.

Imagination thrives on realism if you encourage creativity.

Last edited:

It's my experience that when "realism" is cited, it's just to needlessly restrict things to fit the DM's opinion of how much harder it should be for the players.

Now, if by realism you mean adherence to genre tropes, we're good, but few people actually mean that and instead mean it as "fits my preconceptions."

'Genre tropes'?

Nope, not referring to that.

Things should be hard. Back in school, would you want to face a sports team that wasn't giving their all? Of course not.

BrokenTwin

Biological Disaster
While I agree that a lot of calls for realism tend to run into bad cases of "reality is unrealistic" and "fits my preconceptions", I do tend to prefer and run more gritty and grounded games, so I can understand where they're coming from.
Also, while I have definitely seen some misogyny throughout the thread, "rampant" is a bit of an exaggeration. Things like sex, child-bearing, and parenthood are major aspects of human existence. So naturally, some people are going to want to roleplay in that space, and their games can be richer for it. As long as everyone at the table is comfortable handling them, there's nothing wrong with adding mature themes to your game.
In my prior example, my friend's PC being pregnant added a humanizing element to the campaign, and increased the depth of roleplay for everyone invested in the characters and their growth as people. In a different game that I ran, one of the PCs slept around a lot, and accidentally got a powerful merchant's daughter pregnant in a forbidden tryst. His character later adopted a street kid who was helping them, and the player got to explore the idea that their PC had abandoned their blood-child and was compensating for the loss by taking in this orphan, whom the PC developed a close fatherly relationship with.
Can it be handled wrongly? Certainly! For one thing, I would NEVER spring pregnancy on a player with no warning. If someone thinks it would be interesting to have the chance of pregnancy in a scene, they bring it up with the other players and we hammer out what that entails before anything actually happens in-game. Usually that person would be the GM, but occasionally we'd have players who want their PCs to experience it, and bring up the idea for themselves. Both of my examples were in the latter category.

Ulfgeir

Hero
Can it be handled wrongly? Certainly! For one thing, I would NEVER spring pregnancy on a player with no warning. If someone thinks it would be interesting to have the chance of pregnancy in a scene, they bring it up with the other players and we hammer out what that entails before anything actually happens in-game. Usually that person would be the GM, but occasionally we'd have players who want their PCs to experience it, and bring up the idea for themselves. Both of my examples were in the latter category.

The GM in the Scion-campaign I played in hadn't quite considered the ramifications of what would happen when my chatacter got pregnant. But it is a thing that is apropriate for the kind of stories where Fate plays a big part, especially if someone is destined for something. The more they try to avoid their Fate, the more Fate pulls the character closer to the destiny in weird ways. and in Scion, the only ones that are as tied to an inescapable Fate as the Aesir would be the Greek gods...

Please review The Rules - use of "virtue signalling" to dismiss people it not acceptable.
What has the misogyny been, and where has it been demonstrated? I'm actually curious, as I have not been following this thread.
My reading: they are just wanking off and virtue signalling. There has been no mysogyny. Dont feed the tantrum trolls. But hey. I could be wrong. And cats could could give informed consent to being vegan. Obligate carnivores are a myth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads