Pregnancy and newborns...

Status
Not open for further replies.
. < - - - rare remains of the great typo nation

We don't know much of what their culture was like due to their ironic tendancy to erase everything they ever write and thus leave few records...

Last edited:

Ulfgeir

Hero
Oh. Woops. Thought you were the dm.

No problems.

Find the child and get it to love you dearly as you corrupt it's innocent mind toward your dark machinations.

If your party is good aligned, have you thought about acquiring dark machinations?

Sorry for the threadnapping. ;)
I guess our alignment depends on who you ask.

Let see:
* The daughter of Skadi (me) - a professional ballerina at the Kiev National ballet. Amongst the best in the world, if not the best. Good aligned, but has used a magic tree to teleport herself to where she wants to go. AFTER learning that the price is that the tree eats one child per person and direction. So far she has been rationalising it that it was neccessary at the time, and has only done it once since learning.

* The daughter of Frey - Owns a flight company with a no-questions asked policy of the clients and why they want to land in remote spots.

*The daughter of Sun Wu Kong - She is a registered nurse, but likes to do tomb-raiding, and has contacts to smugglers. She drinks and smokes a lot...

* The son of Apollon - Owns an IT company, and was responsible for recruiting the Oracle at Delphi. Not sure if he has engaged in shady stuff other than screwing around and doing lots of drugs. Some of the drug-induced hallucinations he saw got a life of their won and ended up in the White Forest, which is kind of a prison that I am ranger of. I have no idea how, and my character was not happy.

* The son of Donn - Owns a couple of conference-places and a firm of lawyers. The expensive kind that write ironclad contracts.

* The son of Tawiscara - He works to better the situation of native americans. His dark agenda though, is to punish all the "Johny-come-latelyes" that has "stolen" the land. Also owns a recordlabel. responsible for lots of hits. Used the service of the lawyers associated with the son of Donn to really screw over the artists. His is also the champion of the Invae (from Shadowrun), and has let in hundreds of thousands of insect-spirits in the world.

* The son of Huxia? (Chinese God that created humans) - Is an extremely talented artist, that likes to forge items, and sometimes replace the original with the forgeries for the lulz. He has through myth kind of travelled in time, and has thus throughout time personally killled in battle almost 250 000 persons, mostly mongols... He is married to a Chinese demoness.

Since 1979 never had a pregnant PC. My current group, one PC is married with a child (both NPCs), one had an adopted adult son, and one takes care of his mother.

Henry

Autoexreginated
It’s not something any of my groups over time have addressed. Today, if we were handling that topic, I would likely advocate that it be “off-camera,” handled with some roleplaying scenes addressing its significance to the mother, and what it means for the group, and handle the rest as downtime, like how games like Pendragon had “winter phases” and such, and skip the narrative about nine months to a year ahead — or the player of the pregnant PC adds a new PC temporarily to join the party while the mother gives birth, heals, nurses during the most critical part post-natally.

Adding complications, punishing via negative consequences for use of abilities, all seems pretty unnecessary to me, better IMO to keep the focus on story and consequences in-world after the introduction of a child into life And the change in focus for the party as a whole — pretty much as what happens in real life. 😀

MGibster

Legend
Honestly I'd prefer not to have any pregnant player characters in my high octane fantasy games. I don't have any particular concerns regarding "realistic" portrayals of physical feats performed by pregnant women. But death is always a looming possibility in my D&D games and I really don't want to see it happen to an expectant mother.

jasper

Rotten DM
also your dex is often crap often within the first few days (not always) and only gets worse (always). The distended belly isnt the only issue. Pregnancy messes with you in multiple ways.

The alterations i make to pregnant characters are gemerally the following with some not appearing until later stages (with allowances for unusual anatomy, class, or other non-irl effects):

Always prone (disadvantage also applies to ranged attack ac whereas normally its an advantage)
Penalty to dex skills
Penalty to charisma skills (present or kot depending on percentile roll beginning of day)
Penalty to wisdom skills (like above paranthetical)
Penalty to will saves
Penalty to con saves
Penalty to initiative
Reduced movement speed
Reduced hustle
Reduced number of extra attacks per round
Modified fatigue rules

shrug

Thats just how my group rolls. And although ive already said some of this let me say it again with more context. No woman has ever had a problem with these rules and as a matter of fact they came up with some of them.
You forgot the bonuses.
AUTO CRIT on any one holding the craving item.
Auto Charm on all mothers with in 5 mile radius who will come to their AID
Auto Summoning Grand mother and Grand Father (Berserkers)
Auto Charm on party during craving. Um Rogue dear I could kill for a dill pickle and orcish pie.
Free Beserk Rage when baby in danger.
Don't forget the gawds who love young mothers.

Princelucianus

Explorer
A Barbarian in a campaign a few years ago was pregnant and had the baby after a simple magic and fighting encounter.

The barbarian wasn't much help during the last few encounters but the players weren't really helpful during the delivery.
An unfortunate elf was shrunk to the size of a pixie and got crushed when he wanted to stop the baby from falling. A halforc wondered why the baby wasn't crying and asked if he could slap it. (Don't roll a 20 I said and that's of course what he did).
A paladin had to jump in to revive the killed baby before the barbarian mother went berserk.....

The baby was later stolen by the main protagonist and the players met her again in the final scene of the campaign.

The purple card was her birth certificate

Attachments

• bolke.png
    bolke.png
    63.5 KB · Views: 109

Salthorae

Imperial Mountain Dew Taster
I think that pregnant women being able to be highly effective murder hobos for hire ...when they arent pregnant? I find that insulting to non pregnant women. No. Not a chance.

Maybe that is the problem here. I don't play in murder hobos for hire games.

Pregnant women are far more capable of than you (and your group(s)) give them credit it seems.

The baby was later stolen by the main protagonist

I hope you meant... antagonist?? :D

You forgot the bonuses.
AUTO CRIT on any one holding the craving item.
Auto Charm on all mothers with in 5 mile radius who will come to their AID
Auto Summoning Grand mother and Grand Father (Berserkers)
Auto Charm on party during craving. Um Rogue dear I could kill for a dill pickle and orcish pie.
Free Beserk Rage when baby in danger.
Don't forget the gawds who love young mothers.
Some of that doesnt make sense. They are pregnant. Not a mother yet.

Very funny post though.

Maybe that is the problem here. I don't play in murder hobos for hire games.

Pregnant women are far more capable of than you (and your group(s)) give them credit it seems.

I hope you meant... antagonist?? :D
1 neither do i, was an example to generalize my specific experience out to the average party (which is a gang of murder hobos). It can also apply to a game where there is even a little bit of fighting.

Also no they arent. Actually im being generous. Very generous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads