D&D General Prep is Not Play. . . Or is it?

Henry

Autoexreginated
By strict definition, I’d say no, but it’s no less fun.

In my opinion, “cooking” or “baking” would not be defined as going out to buy fresh ingredients to stock your fridge, spending the day searching bookstores or the internet for new recipes to try, and watching videos of how to make a specific dish. However, it carries its own fun, sense of anticipation, and payoff for when it comes time to actually get in the kitchen, pull out the mixing bowls, and fire the oven.

Did the person who spent the entire day preparing to bake, “bake” that day?

Richards

Legend
If I can get my son to hunt up his digital camera, I might be able to post some pictures of the hand-crafted monster minis I've made for our past several campaigns. That's always fun, too, and although it takes a fair amount of time to do so it's usually worth the effort.
So my son hunted up his digital camera and although I'm not much of a photographer, here's the kind of stuff I occasionally get up to.

First up: a garrison tower keep I made out of cardboard for an adventure two campaigns ago. This tower has been used at least once in my two subsequent campaigns and I think in two of my younger son's campaigns as well.

1629588226303.jpeg

Then, realizing how easy it had been to make a tower keep, I made four more and connected them with cardboard from the backs of old desk calendars. I added stairs, some buildings for the interior, and I ended up with Vandergrotten Keep, which the PCs in my first campaign with my current group - Wing Three - had to attack. (They were successful and as a result it was renamed as Battershield Keep and became the headquarters for the PCs in my second campaign with my current group - The Kordovian Adventurers Guild.)

1629588575771.jpeg

At the end of the Wing Three campaign, the PCs ended up fighting off enemies on The Low Planes Drifter, a paddleboat run by a mercane trader while on the River Lethe. Here's the paddleboat I made out of black poster board:

1629588736496.jpeg

The Wing Three PCs had one week-long adventure on the Elemental Plane of Earth, where they plane shifted an entire magic tower run by dwarven miners (and secretly run by mind flayers). Here's the Black Tower:

1629588938466.jpeg

On a smaller scale, here's the Daern's instant fortress I made for the Kordovian campaign:

1629590192832.jpeg

Finally, here's The Planar Scout, an experimental vehicle crafted by an Archmage allied with the Wing Three PCs:

1629589105602.jpeg

Johnathan

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
That last post was long enough, so I thought I'd do a separate one for some of the creature "miniatures" I've made as well.

First up is a purple worm. We play using the 3.5 rules and I dislike the fact that they'd have all purple worms fight while coiled up so the entire creature fit in a standard square shape. I decided I'd rather have an "uncoiled" worm so I could decide which squares were threatened by the worm's head and which could be targeted by the tail spike. Here's the second appearance of the purple worm, in a recent adventure in my son's Raiders of the Overreach campaign:

1629589513606.jpeg

And here's how I made it: the "connected" purple worm next to the "unconnected" pieces to a larger, "voidspawn" purple worm I used for an adventure in my Kordovian campaign:

1629589591393.jpeg

Next up is a zygomind, a Pathfinder creature made up of a coral-like structure. I made this out of pink construction paper:

1629589701387.jpeg

I made a couple more creatures from the Pathfinder Bestiaries. Here's a stone colossus I created for use in a Wing Three adventure. The torso and head were mounted on a paper towel roll, so they could turn a bit to either side as needed.

1629589809327.jpeg

And here's a wood colossus that I built for an adventure I sent my Kordovian PCs through:

1629589881095.jpeg

Finally, here's the walking brain I made for a Kordovian excursion into Gamma World. The "brain" was fashioned out of pink construction paper and mounted on bendy straws for the tentacle-legs that supported it.

1629590003471.jpeg

Johnathan

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I don't see any downside to calling this play, at least for the DM. It's not exactly the same as game play, but it's related, and I don't find a lot of use in being precious about gatekeeping the notion of what and what isn't 'play'. If it's related to the hobby that's good enough for me. YMMV

That said, I'd have a different response if we were having some sort of philosophidemical argument about the nature of RPGs or whatever. For common usage, I'm fine with play. It's in the same ballpark as char gen for players IMO. I've built literally thousands of pieces of scenery for tabletop games though, so my perspective here may be somewhat non-standard.

Iry

Hero
For some people, it most certainly is Play. For others, it is something decidedly less than Play. Personally, I used to enjoy building flowcharts, designing devious traps (ala Grimtooth), setting up engaging scenes, listening to countless hours of music to find just the right song, and hand drawing dungeons and trying to get them published in Dungeon.

Now? I just don't have the time. I think my game is less glorious than it could be, and that gnaws at my pride. But such is life!

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
So my son hunted up his digital camera and although I'm not much of a photographer, here's the kind of stuff I occasionally get up to.

<SNIP>

That stuff is awesome! You should consider making an instagram acct and snapping more/better pics of this stuff for sharing, there is a huge DnD makers community on there that I've been really enjoying sharing pics of the stuff I am work on with.

Remove ads