Preparing Daily/Utility spells for Wizards

Shadeus

First Post
Part 1:

A 5th-level wizard is able to pick two daily spells. She has two in her spellbook from level 1 (assuming no Expanded Spellbook feat) and another two at level 5. Now the rules indicate:

p. 158
"After an extended rest, you can prepare a number of daily and utility spells according to what you can cast per day for your level. You can't prepare the same spell twice."

So a level 5 wizard has two daily spells. Let's say at level 5, she adds Fireball and Stinking Cloud to her spellbook. Can Stinking Cloud and Fireball be her two daily spells?

Part 2:

At level 2, a wizard picks out a utility spell. There's four: Expedition Retreat, Feather Fall, Jump, and Shield. The first two are daily and the latter two are encounter spells. Does the wizard pick two of these regardless if the spells are encounter or daily spells (because they are utility spells)?

Thanks everyone for your help.

matthewseidl

First Post
Shadeus said:
Part 1:
So a level 5 wizard has two daily spells. Let's say at level 5, she adds Fireball and Stinking Cloud to her spellbook. Can Stinking Cloud and Fireball be her two daily spells?

Yes

At level 2, a wizard picks out a utility spell. There's four: Expedition Retreat, Feather Fall, Jump, and Shield. The first two are daily and the latter two are encounter spells. Does the wizard pick two of these regardless if the spells are encounter or daily spells (because they are utility spells)?

Yes

Revinor

First Post
Shadeus said:

My interpretation is NO. According to level, means one 1st level and 1 5th level.

Ability to swap spells is supposed to give wizards more flexibility, not more power. With possibility to pack highest level spells in same slot, Expanded Spellbook becomes overkill and high level wizards will punch godlike dailies like no other class.

keterys

First Post
I'm amazed this one still hasn't made a FAQ/disclaimer of some kind. It's immediately obvious as a question, and there's totally no agreement. Do you get '2 dailies' or do you get 'a level 5 daily and a level 1 daily'? Very good question.

Survey says...

Shadeus said:
A 5th-level wizard is able to pick two daily spells. She has two in her spellbook from level 1 (assuming no Expanded Spellbook feat) and another two at level 5.

I'd say no to this one... it should be one 1st level and one 5th level dailies, just like the rest of the party

Nifft

Penguin Herder
If your level 1 dailies are Sleep and Flaming Sphere, I would take at least one of them, even at level 5... hell, I'd keep preparing Sleep up through 20th level. :)

Cheers, -- N

Lurker37

Explorer
There's been official replies linked elsewhere on this forum.

WoTC Customer Service said:
All of the spells a Wizard knows of a level are taken as a package deal. If a Wizard knows two first level spells, and reaches a point where he loses "a" spell and replaces is with "a" new spell (such as level 15), he loses his suite of first level spells and replaces them with an equal number of spells at the new level.

A Wizard is only able to prepare one spell from each package per day. So a ninth level Wizard knows:
2 first level spells (can prepare one of them)
2 fifth level spells (can prepare one)
2 ninth level spells (can prepare one)

If he wants to retain a first level spell at fifteenth, he can do this by retraining, and including the first level spell in a different package. For instance, if the above PC wants to still know Sleep after swapping out his first level spells at fifteenth level, he can retrain a spell in a different package (lets say his fifth levels) so he's know:

Sleep and a fifth level spell (can prepare one)
2 ninth level spells (can prepare one)
2 fifteenth level spells (can prepare one)

Last edited:

nortonweb

First Post
Ok if that is the case two points:

1) how the hell do you track that?

2) I thought that 4E was less book keeping!

By level 30 this will be a nightmare!!!

Xect

Explorer
nortonweb said:
Ok if that is the case two points:

1) how the hell do you track that?
You write pairs (or triplets with expanded spellbook) of spells on your sheet, then you mark one spell from each set every time you prepare.

2) I thought that 4E was less book keeping!
It is.

Compare it to the vancian method and its nothing. Even with expanded spellbook, you'll be keeping track of a lot fewer spells than a mid-level vancian wizard.

By level 30 this will be a nightmare!!!
Not really. Keep in mind that you will be clearing a lot of spells off your sheet when you exchange spells.

Remove ads