Preparing Daily/Utility spells for Wizards

Destil

Explorer
nortonweb said:
Ok if that is the case two points:

1) how the hell do you track that?

2) I thought that 4E was less book keeping!

By level 30 this will be a nightmare!!!
Choosing 4 attack spells out of 8 known (2 per level), and 7 out of 14 known utility (2 per level) at 30th?

A no bonus spells, school spec or ring of 3E wizardry wizard has 36 dailies to track out of at a absolute bare minimum 45 spells.... not counting cantrips.

The 30th level 4E guy has about as much to choose as a 8th level 3E cleric... who's only picking domain spells and half their normal spell choices (again, no Wis bonus).

Revinor

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
I'm still confused... someone make it clearer please ?

Think about it in the way of slots, not known spells. Just like old good 3rd edition.

As 5th level wizard, you have one 1st level daily slot and one daily 5th level slot, plus one 2nd level utility slot. You know 2 spells from each level and you can choose which one of them to put in according slot. Just like in old editions, except slots are now numbered by your levels instead of 'spell levels', plus you get only 2 or 3 choices for each level instead of possibly infinite.

On top of that, you have fixed at-will and encounter powers - which you should understand more like innate abilities with different recharge times rather than old good wizard spells.

SweeneyTodd

First Post
Referring to the big page-filling chart on p.29 of the PHB will help a ton. I had missed that on the first readthrough.

That chart shows you the number of at-will, encounter, utility, and daily powers your character has available at any level. It's the same for all classes. The Spellbook class feature just gives you the flexibility to change what goes into those slots.

Although... crap. I'm still confused as to how this actually works out. I believe that the guidelines on p. 28 as to when you can gain new powers and/or trade old ones for new ones leads to a hierarchy of powers (so you have powers from various levels).

I do think that you'd want to keep that hierarchy since otherwise the wizard would be able to just load his dailies up with the highest level ones in his spellbook; I just can't find where the rules explicitly say that's how it works It just says "You can't prepare the same spell twice".

It's funny, because the WotC customer service bit quoted above works like how I'd expect it to do... but actually looking at what they're saying, I don't see that anywhere in the actual rulebook, and it seems like it'd be a pain to keep track. Heck, I'd be tempted to let them just freely fill their slots out of their spellbook; worst case, it means that for example they could have two lvl 5 dailies at lvl 5 when other classes only get a 1 and a 5. That's a pretty big bonus but I'm not sure if it's overpowering, and it'd make it a lot easier to keep track of this stuff.

Alkiera

First Post
My understanding is that a 5th level wizard has a first level slot and a 5th level slot. He can prep 1st and 1 5th, or two 1st level spells in those slots(note the text where it says 'or a lower level one, if you choose').

Of the various classes, the wizard is about the worst for damage scaling by level (oh, the irony, too ironic), so dropping a 5th level spell for a second 1st level might be just what you want.

Another thing I noted, is that the Expanded Spellbook feat only applies to daily attack spells, not utility powers. I thought that was a little odd, but makes it slightly less of a 'must have'.

Rashak Mani said:
I'm still confused... someone make it clearer please ?

I was thinking that this could help:

Everytime a wizard is able to pick one of two spells, give the player an index card with the spell info written on opposites sides of the same card. The player can then put his card on the table with the chosen spell facing up.

That way, the player can pick and choose from the options gained at each level (since the pairs are on opposite sides of the same cards.

Alkiera

First Post
That works great until they take the Expanded Spellbook feat and get to choose 3 spells. 8)

From my post on the other wizard spellbook thread (About wizard/warlocks):

From the reading of the Spellbook text, and the section on powers(pg 28/29), it only mentions removing spells from your spellbook when you replace them via retraining or leveling at 15, 19, etc. But it says 'one spell' even in the spellbook section. So when you hit 15, you replace 1 spell in your spellbook(maybe 1st level, but it doesn't matter) with the 15th level spell. You leave other spells of that level alone. To get additional spells of 15th level, you need to 'retrain' to swap them out, at 1 per level. So at 15, you could have 2 15th level spells, if you used retraining to swap in the second one. At 16, you could have 3.

Hrm. From reading in detail; you get to choose new daily attack spells at 1, 5, and 9 only. 15th, 19th, 25th, and 29th are all basically 'free' retrains. Thus you'll only ever have 6 daily spells in your spellbook, unless you take the feat Expanded Spellbook, which lets you have 9 Daily spells. Similarly for Utility powers, you'll have 10 (expanded spellbook doesn't do anything for Utilities); the powers you get from your paragon path or Epic Destiny do not count as 'levels where you get to select a spell' since you are given exactly one spell to take; there is not a choice.

Remove ads