Preserving the Fear Inherent in 1st Level

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Change Death by Massive Damage to be extra HP equal to Level plus Con score. At lower levels, it's not likely to matter, but soon healing from 0 HP becomes a risky process. With only a few HP, taking lethal damage is much more likely, even without a critical hit. Being attacked while down is much more likely to kill, since it's also a critical hit, and random AoE can also cause instant death (rather than just a failed death save).

I love this idea.

A similar idea is to reduce the number of death saves you fail before dying. I've considered a rule where you only get 1 failed death save, and that's it. So when a character drops to 0, it should be panic time, as the other PCs scramble to stabilize them.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

DM: "Ok guys, for this little mini-campaign we're going to be using the Critical Hits system from Hackmaster 4th Edition"

Problem solved.

You're welcome.

;)

EDIT: PS - I'm serious though...the Critical hits for HM4 are really fun and exciting and deadly, potentially. It's not that complicated once you have done it two or three times. There have been many truly memorable critical (and fumble) events via the HM4 rules...and they don't come up all that often, honestly. Most end up being a couple extra points of damage with maybe a small penalty to hit or damage. Easily convert such "numbered minutia" into 5e terms like Adv/Disad or maybe a forfeiture of the next Bonus Action or even Action. Something simple. And yeah, using the Fumble rules would also be a nice added bonus to a 5e game! :D

DOUBLE EDIT: Actually, even using the Penetration Damage might be enough. Simply put, if you roll maximum on a particular damage die, you can roll that single die again, with a flat -1, and add it. Keep rolling until you don't roll max on that die. Ex: You roll 1d10 damage and get a 10. You roll it again with a -1. You roll another 10, and roll again, getting a 1. Your total damage is 10 + 9 + 0. This DOES make weapons that use d4's pretty nasty, potentially! As well as effects that do multiple dice...like Fireball. Rolling 5d6 is bound to get one or two (or more) 6's, and those sixes can get another one or two, etc. Basically anything that does damage dice, or 'heal dice' is affected by the Penetration rules. So yes, you could roll a Cure Wounds spell and heal 65 points or more...technically. Then again, that Frost Bolt could also do 65 points or more...so...yeah...

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Last edited:

LarryD

First Post
[*]Use ambush and separation tactics. Have one monster that does nothing but grab the wizard and run off with them. The ceiling opens up and a rope/tentacle comes down to pull one of the PCs up into the dark.
!

Stealing that second one.

Satyrn

First Post
Stealing that second one.
Beware Ceiling Cthulhu!
Oh_hai_there,_I_can_haz_ur_planet_9y7Detail.png

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
This is going to sound pithy, but try 2nd or 1st edition. 5E is designed around more action heroic sensibilities. I think it’s less a case of altering the game to fit your style as choose the game which fits your style.

Reynard

Legend
This is going to sound pithy, but try 2nd or 1st edition. 5E is designed around more action heroic sensibilities. I think it’s less a case of altering the game to fit your style as choose the game which fits your style.
There a couple reasons for trying to alter 5E to do what I want, including liking a lot of the rest of the game and the simple fact that running the current edition of the game makes it easier to find players and fill seats at cons. If I was going to switch from 5E I wouldn't bother using D&D at all, I'd go with something like WHFRP 1E.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I just play the damn game properly :p
TPK's should only be happening (or approached even) towards the end of the adventuring day or if the party seriously underestimates a threat.
Find that's not happening? Adjust your encounter budget.
Find it's happening too much? Adjust your encounter budget.

Remove ads