Preserving the Fear Inherent in 1st Level

CapnZapp

Legend
I started a new campaign last night, running the Yawning Portal version of Sunless Citadel in Eberron for a group consisting of a mix of lapsed and current players. The first thing that happened was a tense, close-to-TPK fight against 3 giant rats. It was scary, but fun scary. But having run quite a bit of 5E in the past, I know that particular feel goes away pretty quickly. It is pretty difficult to kill 5E with even a couple levels under their belt but I think the game benefits from a healthy dose of mortal fear.

What methods have you found to keep the game dangerous even as PCs rise in level? What methods have you tried that did not work out or otherwise ended up not using? What's your take on high lethality D&D as it relates to player engagement and enjoyment?

Thanks!
Sadly, the only real solution is to slow down advancement so heroes effectively never reach 5th level.

Defense-wise. They can still get Fireball or whatever - it isn't offense that's the problem.

Maybe hand out 1 hp per "level" (warriors gain 2 hp)?

Sadras

Legend
During the playtest I capped Hit Dice at 6, that seemed to work rather well to maintain the dangerous edge, other methods include changing up the rest mechanic and healing from negative. I did not notice a change in player enjoyment. People are just happy to have a game.

Remove ads