• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestige Class Format: Complete Warrior or Champions of Valor?

More or Less Fluff for PrCs?

• Complete Warrior: Give me the mechanics and get out of the way.

Votes: 82 54.3%
  • Champions of Valor: More background details to justify another PrC in the first place.

Votes: 56 37.1%
  • Something Else: Explain

Votes: 13 8.6%

Shade

Monster Junkie
Complete Warrior. The other format eats up far too much valuable real estate that could be used for more useful content, whether that be crunch or fluff. I've never used a sample NPC, and probably never will.

the Jester

Legend
Yes they've overcompensated... the CW format (minus information repeated one page later on the sample npcs) is better than the current 25-page prc write-ups (yeah, I'm exaggerating a little bit here). I'd like to see something in between, frankly- one section of fluff would be enough for me.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The mechanics are what will sell me on a prestige class - if it fills the niche I want then I'll take it. Once I've decided to take the prestige class, I want as much fluff as possible! I love the new format.

-blarg

ps - I could do without the sample NPCs. (ditto for templates!)

kyloss

First Post
Give me some generic fluff without a specific organizational tie leave out the sample npc, and while your at it maybe add a second more lienent entry requirement for droping it later into an existing campaign- I like the idea of prc but I think the requirements can be a bit strict for those who dont plan on going epic, unless you plan from the start.

Dalamar

Adventurer
Voted something else. I think something in-between the two would be an optimal choice. What exactly that something is? No idea.

ThirdWizard

First Post
I like flavorful, interesting PrCs, but that doesn't mean I want long descriptions. I think the format in CW is pretty much spot on. I could stand a little longer, but not too much. Interesting and individualized mechancs within the PrC are more important to me than the fluff of the PrC, since it gives it character from within instead of the tacked on (and oftentimes contradictory) character of descriptive text.

Remathilis

Legend
My take on the new format (I'm using Explorers Handbook, which is newer but might have subtle differences)

Name
Kinda useful to know ;-)
Becoming a X
This just tells you the fastest way to get into X class. This could be trimmed down.
Entry Requirements
useful
Class Features
meat and potatoes
Ye Old Chart
useful
Playing an X
This should be an collection of all the below, as relevant
Combat
perhaps a note on this, but not a whole section
Advancement
tie this into the becoming a X section
Resources
Tie to organizations, below
X in the world
DM info. Nice. Keep KISS but useful
Organizations
If there is an organizations, include. Else...
NPC reactions
not important. Remove
X Lore
Ugh. Dump.
X in the Game
This should be rolled into X in the world
Adaption
Keep. Best thing added since CW
Encounters
Useless.
Sample X
Occasionally useful for seeing a build idea, but ultimately useless

Zethnar

First Post
Personally I would just prefer less prestige classes overall. I don't care if they include fluff or don't, nine times out of ten they are just a waste of the paper they are printed on. No offence to anyone who writes these things, but seriously, most prestige classes will never get used by the people who buy rpg books containing them.

Hell I never use them even for bad guys when I GM. It's too much hassle flipping through books trying to find exactly the right class when I could instead just slap together a mage almost without having to reference the PHB.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
Remathilis said:
NPC reactions
not important. Remove
X Lore
Ugh. Dump.
X in the Game
This should be rolled into X in the world

That's funny - those are my favorite bits of all now! Lore in particular because I find Knowledge to be a difficult skill to adjudicate.

-blarg

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I intend to buy them both. I want my fighters to rock (and not be nailed by the likes of one Claire, Cute Elven Mage, see the other thread. :D )
I've heard a lot of really good things about the Complete Series, in any event. I'll pick them all up when I can.
I'm back in the Hobby! :)

Remove ads