• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Prestige Class Format: Complete Warrior or Champions of Valor?

More or Less Fluff for PrCs?

• Complete Warrior: Give me the mechanics and get out of the way.

Votes: 82 54.3%
  • Champions of Valor: More background details to justify another PrC in the first place.

Votes: 56 37.1%
  • Something Else: Explain

Votes: 13 8.6%

JoeGKushner

First Post
Given that people hated the sheer amount of crunch in the Complete Warrior, does anyone think that WoTC has overcompensated with too much fluff that basically is repeated over and over, or are the newer books just right in their terms of fluff/crunch ratio?

Crothian

First Post
I found complete Warrior to be a very good book. I do think that in the later books Wizards goes overboard informaiton much of it I don't find useful.

BobROE

Explorer
I prefer the CoV approach (except that I often have trouble finding the hit die), but I run an FR game and alot of the information is FR specific. So for non FR books I'd probably prefer the CW approach since I may have to modify the PrC's flavour to fit my game and it's easier to do if there's less fluff attached.

Masquerade

First Post
I agree almost entirely with detomo.

I don't mind a bit of fluff for inspiration, but the new format has too much. And cut out sample NPCs, already!

Generally I'd prefer the more detailed version. I might not use it all, but there's usually something you can mine for ideas in there. But the sample NPCs are a supreme exercise in utter uselessness, and really need to go. Or at the very least be summarised a bit more - how about referring back to the PHB rather than retyping the damn Sneak Attack rules a dozen times a book? That's the sheerest cynical page-stuffing, and makes me grumpy.

Xereq

First Post
i dislike the fluff like "[this class] in the campeign" but i at least want a justification for flavor abilities and perhaps metacrunch fluff. like design notes and crunch justification of abilities...i liked complete warrior but again, any creative person can find a niche for thier PrC in the campeign

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Complete Warrior is closer to it, in my book. I'd like some flavor, but not a whole page devoted to how the PrC works in the campaign, details that are immensely obvious, like "this class has the prerequisite of a BAB +5, so a fighter can qualify for it by 5th level" and other such nonsense. The sample NPCs are nice though, especially now that they don't duplicate the text on abilities only one page over.

Demiurge out.

Remove ads