D&D 5E Preview: Manticore

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Folks don't have to explain that they didn't' see a previous thread every time they start a thread. That's assumed. :)

Anyway, here it is!

manticore.jpg

MarkB

Legend
Looks pretty simple and straightforward - an easy monster to drop into a variety of encounters.

I'm not absolutely keen on the art - the face looks a little too weird, like a lion that's had its muzzle ripped off - but it serves well enough.

The range on the spikes is pretty impressive - this would be a good monster to use as a sniper, darting between trees or castle turrets to launch volleys of tail spikes.

Roger

First Post
Oh no, a manticore! Quick, everyone lie flat on your back. That helps for some reason, until it runs out of spiky bits.

I like that you can cut a deal with the thing. Just eat the hirelings and we'll be on our way.

I feel like they should be the fomorians of the sphinx world. Need to mull that over a bit more though.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
Whoa! I was expecting to be disappointed by the art (4e's Manticore art was awesome), but this looks really cool. The body is very convincing, and the face is creepy.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Whoa! I was expecting to be disappointed by the art (4e's Manticore art was awesome), but this looks really cool. The body is very convincing, and the face is creepy.

Really? I guess it's all subjective of course, because I really didn't like 4e's version (I'm assuming you mean this one). And that's disappointing because 4e did have a lot of good art.

I really like this one, and agree with the earlier comment about the face being unsettling, and in a good way.

Fion

Explorer
It is rather off puting, but in a good way. The spines around the main are a little weird, considering the wings would almost assuredly clip them all the time. The 4e Manticore art was much more classical, more reminiscent of it's Persian origins. The body looks like a lion, with the head being distinctly humanoid, big black dragon wings.

This one is ok, the wings are solid, the body looks more like a tiger or 'liger'. The face is unsettling, though the spines around the head seem out of place. It looks like the wings would clip them constantly in flight, and the tail is twice-over two long.

Love the flavor text though, hilarious.

Last edited:

Remove ads