D&D 5E Preview Witchlight's New Rabbit People

You can take a look at the harengons, a rabbit-themed race in the upcoming Wild Beyond the Witchlight, over at D&D Beyond. Harengons are medium or small humanoids with a bonus to initiative, Dexterity saving throws, and a 'rabbit hop' which lets them jump up to five times their proficiency bonus without provoking opportunity attacks. Creature Type. You are a Humanoid. Size. You are...

You can take a look at the harengons, a rabbit-themed race in the upcoming Wild Beyond the Witchlight, over at D&D Beyond.

rabbit.jpg

Harengons are medium or small humanoids with a bonus to initiative, Dexterity saving throws, and a 'rabbit hop' which lets them jump up to five times their proficiency bonus without provoking opportunity attacks.

Creature Type. You are a Humanoid.

Size. You are Medium or Small. You choose the size when you select this race.

Speed. Your walking speed is 30 feet.

Hare-Trigger. You can add your proficiency bonus to your initiative rolls.

Leporine Senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

Lucky Footwork. When you fail a Dexterity saving throw, you can use your reaction to roll a d4 and add it to the save, potentially turning the failure into a success. You can’t use this reaction if you’re prone or your speed is 0.

Rabbit Hop. As a bonus action, you can jump a number of feet equal to five times your proficiency bonus, without provoking opportunity attacks. You can use this trait only if your speed is greater than 0. You can use it a number of times equal to your proficiency bonus, and you regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

When you create a harengon or fairy using the rules from The Wild Beyond the Witchlight, you can choose to increase one ability score by 2 and another by 1, or choose to increase three different scores by 1. Further, you know Common and will choose one other language to learn.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
That's my main issue with the floating ASIs, it's just a nothing mechanic. It contributes nothing to world building, and is squatting on a feat and a half of design space that could be used for something interesting.

I'd love it if it was +2/+1 of specific abilities OR here's some race specific feats you can take instead of the stat boosters.

That way we have flexible races/lineages and they are also still thematically represented.

I'm all for a version of D&D where we don't have ASIs for races but we do in 5e. And the remaining design space for racial abilities is just too small for my taste.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
That's my main issue with the floating ASIs, it's just a nothing mechanic. It contributes nothing to world building, and is squatting on a feat and a half of design space that could be used for something interesting.

Yup. The next logical step is to remove the ASIs from races completely and just put them in the Attribute Creation section, where they belong.

I approve of this direction.

Bird Of Play

Explorer
Oh god, there is so much more to fantasy than just Tolkien. I love Tolkien's work, don't get me wrong, but D&D needs to evolve to handle more than just the staid same old same old. Rabbitfolk wouldn't have been my first choice, either, but it's a heck of a lot better than just another elf or dwarf subrace.

You do you, man.

Not at all, but ok

Yeah, because back when D&D was all about Tolkien-fantasy, the game wasnt a loot-based hack'n slash, no sir! :p

And let's be real, for how long D&D has been ''tolkien-fantasy''? Maybe 4-5 minutes into its publication, just before the company started throwing crashed spacecrafts, cartoons with talking baby unicorns, giant space hamsters etc?

Rant zone below!

First of all, MY books of the 2nd edition don't have any of that rabbitfolks, catfolks, all-races-are-equal-even-if-one-is-2-meters-height-and-the-other-is-half-a-meter, crap.
Yes, everyone is humanoid somehow, but making other animals into humanoid too isn't solving the fact that everything from giants to feys to demons is human-shaped. How does adding rabbit-people make the game more fantasy or original?

Don't even get me started on the sanitizing part. I remember the manual explicitly mentioned that the derro kept prisoners as sex slaves. Nowadays, I worry just mentioning this in this forum may get me a moderator warning (please don't!), as if mentioning something was akin to endorsing it.

And shall I mention how the combat changed to make sure you keep hitting enemies and watch the number go up while you gulp down potions - just like you'd do in a videogame? Or how the prices changed so buying stuff feels more like it'd feel in a videogame (300 gold pieces for a armour, not 30) so you can stash loot.

So what happens when you remove any vague reference to heavy subjects, then add cute animal people, then turn the combat into a videogame combat?

I apologize for the off topic. But c'mon. They saw the market and changed the game accordingly, over the years.

/rant

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads