D&D 5E Price Increase on D&D & MtG coming

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Technological improvements to reduce production costs could play a big part in video game costs. For example, the marginal cost to a company is near zero when someone just buys and downloads a game.
Companies are going to charge as much as they think they can for something regardless of how much it costs them.

The price is going to be a product of the elasticity of demand.

Downward forces on price likely include lower relative wages of consumers compared to the 90s and the rise of pirating.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Who said otherwise? And the companies in question resisted raising prices for years while their costs rose. But prices cannot stay flat forever while costs rise.
That would be reasonable if they weren't reporting rising profits as well. If the rising costs are causing them to lose profits, then raising prices is not only reasonable, but necessary. Here, they announced hiking the MSRP right after announcing record profits. Clearly rising costs have not been hurting them.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
That would be reasonable if they weren't reporting rising profits as well. If the rising costs are causing them to lose profits, then raising prices is not only reasonable, but necessary. Here, they announced hiking the MSRP right after announcing record profits. Clearly rising costs have not been hurting them.
Well, I'd their costs are rising rapidly (which they are all over), they would want to head that off at the pass now before.profits are materially impacted.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm a bit cynical. Might as well be arguing that there ought to be no crime, terrorism and the world was sunshine and rainbows. Some things aren't going to change.
That’s the neoliberal mind prison. “It is easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.” Of course, with the former looking like a very real possibility, I have to believe we can achieve the latter first, otherwise I may as well lay down and die now rather than wait to do it in the climate war.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
That’s the neoliberal mind prison. “It is easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.” Of course, with the former looking like a very real possibility, I have to believe we can achieve the latter first, otherwise I may as well lay down and die now rather than wait to do it in the climate war.

There is a quote that goes something like this: "Everything seems impossible up until the moment it seems inevitable."

I think we will see the latter first and then the former as it's probably too late at this point.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Cost increases on their side trail profit reports for the prior year. There just isn't any way to avoid cost increases right now.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Cost increases on their side trail profit reports for the prior year. There just isn't any way to avoid cost increases right now.
I get what you are saying, but the profit report, AFAIK was for 1st half of 2021, not last year - which has had its share of rising costs. Sure, they are probably projecting a loss of profit by Q4 if they don't raise the price, but it hasn't happened yet. (Also big companies tend to call it a profit "loss" when what they mean is "not as big gains as before".)

In my world if you are making money, then you are making money. In theirs, you always have to make more money than you did before.

If a price hike is necessary, than I get it. In this case, it doesn't look to me like it is yet. Not right after record profits. Especially when the price hike most effects the consumer and the small FLGS, who (in my experience) are the worst off ATM. (Other than the tourism biz).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I get what you are saying, but the profit report, AFAIK was for 1st half of 2021, not last year - which has had its share of rising costs. Sure, they are probably projecting a loss of profit by Q4 if they don't raise the price, but it hasn't happened yet. (Also big companies tend to call it a profit "loss" when what they mean is "not as big gains as before".)

In my world if you are making money, then you are making money. In theirs, you always have to make more money than you did before.

If a price hike is necessary, than I get it. In this case, it doesn't look to me like it is yet. Not right after record profits. Especially when the price hike most effects the consumer and the small FLGS, who (in my experience) are the worst off ATM. (Other than the tourism biz).
Hate the game, not the player.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)

You raise prices AS your costs increase. You don't wait 3-6 months. Their cost increase is right now, and has been there for the past 6 months.

Everyone is increasing their prices right now. Have you been shopping lately? It doesn't matter what the product is. Inflation is here, right now, across most industries. The Consumer Price Index just jumped 5.4%, the biggest jump since 2008.

Remove ads