D&D 5E Price Increase on D&D & MtG coming

FitzTheRuke

Legend
By the way, how is it that the MSRP is $49.99, yet you can buy D&D books on Amazon for $30?
That really undercuts the FLGS.
I guess the siren song of Amazon volume is too good to resist.
It works like this: I pay $27.50 USD (45% off) on a D&D Book from my distributor and sell them for $50. (Actually I am Canadian, but we'll keep it in USD to make it easier - we also lose out on the exchange rate some of the time, but that's another story). Let's say I sell 20 of them in their first year (not a core book, but that's about right on something like Decent into Avernus). I make... $450! (Less whatever I paid my Clerk to sell them, and less because I probably brought in at least 22 copies if I sold 20, but you follow me...)

Meanwhile, Amazon sells 'em for, what, $37? (Depends on the book, the PHB goes for $32 but "rarer" books can go as high as $40). Let's say $37. They probably pay somewhere around $20 per. But they sell 100k of them! (I don't know how accurate that is, but let's go with it...) They make $1.7 Million!

On top of all that, I probably pay my employees 1.5x as much as Bezos does his. And mine probably spent more time doing it, too.

Marc Radle

Legend

D&D is increasingly getting unappealing. I already preordered and couldn't cancel them, so this likely won't effect them, as its through amazon. Still I doubt I will.be doing much more business with them anyways.

Why? The global shipping problem isn’t their fault, and it’s perfectly reasonable to try and offset the huge price increases.

You seem to see this as some sort of nefarious plan on their part or something.

Dragonblade

Adventurer
Its not government spending, its supply and transportation if goods issues, as well as Saudi Arabia cutting oil supply at the WORST possible time.
Of course it is absolutely a factor.

You cannot inject several trillion dollars into an economy without massively devaluing the dollars already there, especially if those dollars were not generated through creation of capital but through simply printing more of them.

Certainly you are correct that energy supply, including price of oil is also a factor.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases