• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pricing a Ring of Greater Counterspells

Rassilon

First Post
From the SRD said:
Counterspells
This ring might seem to be a ring of spell storing upon first examination. However, while it allows a single spell of 1st through 6th level to be cast into it, that spell cannot be cast out of the ring again. Instead, should that spell ever be cast upon the wearer, the spell is immediately countered, as a counterspell action, requiring no action (or even knowledge) on the wearer’s part. Once so used, the spell cast within the ring is gone. A new spell (or the same one as before) may be placed in it again.

Moderate evocation; CL 11th; Forge Ring, imbue with spell ability; Price 4,000 gp.

Pretty straightforward - but what would a Ring of Greater Counterspells - allowing levesl 1 to 9, cost?

Thanks for the help,

Rassilon.

wuyanei

First Post
I'll give it a try:

I will assume that the ring is price according to the standard formula of either

A * (spell level squared); or B * (Spell Level * Caster Level);

with each spell level worth being priced individually. So, for a ring of 1st ~ 6th level

Sum N=1~6 [N^2] = 91; Price = 91 x A gp
Sum N=1~6 [N(2N-1)] = 161; Price = 161 x B gp

for a ring of 1st ~ 9th level

Sum N=1~9 [N^2] = 285;
Sum N=1~9 [N(2N-1)] = 525;

Price = 285 x A = 285 x (4000 / 91) = 12527.47253 ~ 12500 gp
Price = 525 x B = 525 x (4000 / 161) = 13043.47826 ~ 13000 gp

... so both results end up about the same. Three times the old price is a bit expensive, but not outrageous for defense against a 9th level spell.

As for myself, I like the number 12500 gp (for no particular reason) -- but 500 gp will not make any difference at this level either way.

... or, you could just use:

81 x (4000 / 36) = 9000 gp, which would also be reasonable if a bit cheap, IMO.

Happy gaming!
Yanei Wu

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads