D&D 3E/3.5 Priests turning - was it revised in 3.5 ?

Golandrinel

First Post
After reading the turning rules for the first time for 3e last night I was shocked to find that a second level priest could destroy 1hd undead.

Has this been revised in 3.5?

As a 2nd level cleric I wouldn't expect to be powerful enough to destroy any amount of undead....

Thx in advance.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Bolster, bolster, bolster.

Unhallow, Desecrate.

Bolster.

(Unhallow and Desecrate should grant TR, not just a penalty to the turning check :( )

-Hyp.

Golandrinel

First Post
;) Enough with the bolster already!!!! LOL...

What I mean to say is that I wouldn't expect a very low level cleric to be able to destroy any type of undead with his turning ability. I think I would have restricted it to only start working when the character reaches fifth level and then maybe only destroying undead od HD lower or equal to his (level / 2) - 1

aliensex

First Post
Why, whats your problem with it the way it is now? The only thing that he can destroy are basic skeletons and zombies, the very lowest and basic undead there is. I don't find it too troublesome myself.

Golandrinel

First Post
It's just the potential that a 2nd level cleric could destroy 14 + 2 + Cha Modifier undead enemies in one foul swoop. A lot more than any other individual 2nd level character could manage.

[edited for tense problems...]

Last edited:

Darklone

Me too. Our lvl9 cleric was very happy as he finally was able to destroy some "real" undead (ghouls and wights) with his turning checks. Wasting skeletons was usually considered not worth it.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Golandrinel said:
It's just the potential that a 2nd level cleric could destroy 14 + 2 + Cha Modifier undead enemies in one foul swoop. A lot more than any other individual 2nd level character could manage.
Well, yeah. Not all the classes are created equal, especially when confronting masses of weak creatures. This is built into the structure of the game, and it only gets worse as you increase in level.

One 1st-level wizard could potentially take out 16 kobolds with a single sleep spell. At 5th level, he can chuck a fireball into a dense formation and kill 40 creatures at once. Cone spells can do even better than that, after about caster level 8. The nonmagical classes can never quite keep up.

Clerics don't have quite the same artillery power, but they're the single best class against undead. A prepared cleric will nearly always kick the ass of undead below his own CR. IMO it makes sense; undead multiply easily, don't die of old age, and are more numerous than clerics. If they weren't easy to destroy, they'd quickly fill up the planet.

(And in case you happen to care, the expression is "one fell swoop.")

Destil

Explorer
2nd level fighter with a great flail, power attack, cleave and great cleave can do similar. It's very much a non issue, I'd say.

Last edited:

Remove ads