• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Prince Of The Apocalypse question (possible spoiler)

ChubBBoy

First Post
In the Last Laugh excursion there is mention of somebody called Valklondar that doesn't seem to appear anywhere in the campaign, am I missing something or is this just a red herring?If it is just a red herring or relates to something that was edited out ... it feels a little pointless. I was thinking of either removing it from my upcoming campaign or creating the appropriate NPC and somehow weave the arrow and skull into the campaign...Thanks for your thoughts in advance....

I have a lot of positive things to say about that adventure, but one of my few negative points is that the hooks and namedrops sometimes aren't tied to the rest of the story very well, especially in the side-treks. I have to admit I don't know the specific answer to your question, but I can think of a couple other cases where names didn't connect to anything.

pukunui

Legend
I suppose you could call it a red herring. It's just meant to be something strange and mysterious that has no explanation. Not everything has to. It's there to show that the fantasy world is full of mystery and wonder.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
That said, red herrings are just made to be fleshed out and woven into the rest of the campaign, so I say go for it! :)

ChubBBoy

First Post
Thanks for the responses!

I agree that some mystery is always great but wished there was a footnote stating that you didn't need to go searching for that character in the rest of the adventure :)

Again, thanks for your help.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads