D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Arial Black

Adventurer
We played this room on Wednesday.

We are a 4th level four-man party, and against my strenuous objections the party were swayed by the Lawful Stupid paladin's assurances that a blank refusal to look facts in the face will see us through.

So, my shadow monk cast pass without trace, we put on stolen robes and masks and copied the hand sign that let us pass the gargoyle canyon unmolested.

We saw a guy on a land shark, backed up by four hobgoblins. My urgings to live to fight another day fell on suicidal ears, so we engaged. The land shark pounced, its rider attacked far too many times for my liking, and things were going south.

We got rid of the hobgoblins easily enough, but the land shark was very hard to hit. Luckily, after that first pounce, it kept missing. Our luck couldn't hold out for long.

I had an idea: I acrobatically leaped onto the land shark's back (hoping it couldn't bite me there) and tried to kick the rider in the head, but his armour was too good. Luckily, our paladin got a crit smite and killed him, leaving just the indestructible land shark.

Instead of attacking (and either missing or doing a pathetic amount of damage to its presumably huge total), I asked the DM if I could try an Animal Handling roll. I rolled well, the DM rolled (I don't know what) but rolled low, and asked me what I wanted the monster to do.

"Dive, dive, dive!", and jumped off its back (with a Dex save) as it sank into the rock. I don't know where it went, but I do know we got the XPs for it. :)

Nebulous

Legend
Looks like they're to send the elf back into the Temple in animal form all alone to scout it out.

How does a medusa's power work actually? If Spider-Brey bumped into Marlos around a corner and they made eye contact, does the spider still need to make a petrification save? Or is it a deliberate attack by Marlos that he has to choose to make, and why would he try to turn to stone some random spider if he doesn't know it's really a shapechanged PC?

Uller

Adventurer
At the start of a character's turn, if he can see Marlos (and is within 30') the character must make the save. If he is not surprised he can decide to avert his eyes to avoid having to make the save, in which case he is effectively blinded with regard to the medusa. If at any time he looks at the medusa, he must immediately save.

In our game the wizard was scouting using spider climb in the cave next to Marlos's lair. Marlos was aware of him (he heard the party cast shatter while fighting the gargoyles). He was unaware of Marlos. So when he came within line of sight I made him make the save right then even though he wasn't necessarily surprised (of course he was aware of the possibility of threats. He was scouting and Marlos was making no attempt to hide).

So...Marlos doesn't have to direct it. It's more like an aura...

Uller

Adventurer
And honestly...if my players said they were walking about actively avpiding eye contact with any creatures they encounter I think I'd give them disadvantage on perception checks

Unwise

Adventurer
Looks like they're to send the elf back into the Temple in animal form all alone to scout it out.

How does a medusa's power work actually? If Spider-Brey bumped into Marlos around a corner and they made eye contact, does the spider still need to make a petrification save? Or is it a deliberate attack by Marlos that he has to choose to make, and why would he try to turn to stone some random spider if he doesn't know it's really a shapechanged PC?

I don't know the monster in question, but if it includes the ability to be hurt by its own visage, then it must not be a conscious thing, it must just happen. For extra fun, a spider has no eyelids, cannot close its eyes or squint and has a huge range of vision, it could not just look at the ground for instance. No avoiding looking at anything for spider-brey.

Nebulous

Legend
Something potentially very, very interesting happened with the mirror last session. I'll try to get to the recap in the next day or so.

Nebulous

Legend
I don't know the monster in question, but if it includes the ability to be hurt by its own visage, then it must not be a conscious thing, it must just happen. For extra fun, a spider has no eyelids, cannot close its eyes or squint and has a huge range of vision, it could not just look at the ground for instance. No avoiding looking at anything for spider-brey.

Yes but this makes me wonder how does the dude even converse with allies, does everyone have to look away all the time, or stay outside a 30 foot range? Maybe so...

Uller

Adventurer
Yes but this makes me wonder how does the dude even converse with allies, does everyone have to look away all the time, or stay outside a 30 foot range? Maybe so...
Well....in the mythology associated with gorgons it is a curse for this very reason. A beautiful but vane person turned into a creature no one can look upon.

Nebulous

Legend
Well....in the mythology associated with gorgons it is a curse for this very reason. A beautiful but vane person turned into a creature no one can look upon.

Yes, that's very true, I hadn't really thought about it but his troops are probably scared crapless by this guy and don't really see him much, if at all. ALTHOUGH...heh, heh, on page 4 of the Princes book we have three Prophets gathered all cozy around a table, but I can just handwave that :)

Remove ads