D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Some very good ideas in there. Thank you, I'll use some of them for my players when they return to the temple (if they go back that way). At the moment my game has gone completely off track with the group deciding that the 'Swords of Liberty' must be holed up in an abandoned mine near the town that was recently attacked. They have gotten the locals to identify the abandoned mines near town and are exploring them one by one. The first one caught me on the hop (I didn't expect them to do this), so I used the necromancers cave from chapter 6. For the second one I have used the 'Mines of Madness' adventure from the Dungeon Masters Guild. It is an old fashioned dungeon crawl filled with traps and undead. Very Gygaxian. http://www.dmsguild.com/product/170811/Mines-of-Madness-Next

It's free to download which is also nice.

Nebulous

Legend
I greatly enjoyed this last session, it was quite different, hard to portray in the recaps exactly but it was highly interactive with what the hell is going to happen next???

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I really enjoyed that. I loved the cut-scene, and it's great that your players are really thinking about how to succeed without just barging in and fighting.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
Last nights my players continued on their off topic exploration of local deserted mines.

Mine Two - The Mines of Madness. They got slammed by a bunch of traps but found lots of magical treasure. Eventually decided that they weren't going to find what they were looking for without getting killed and moved on. They now have a goblin companion that they rescued from the mine (Hug Hug is his name).

Mine Three - This one is from the module 'Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle'. They arrived at the mine entrance, saw that it was an old dwarven secret entrance where the secret door had been removed from it's mechanism and saw the Orc/Dworc wrestling match going on. Eventually they met with the Orc and Dworcs, where they found that the upper levels from their home had been taken over by members of the Emerald Claw. They decided that this had nothing to do with them and moved on.

Mine Four - Deserted and collapsed not far in.

Mine Five - after a journey of several hours down the mine tunnel it linked to a well carved dwarven tunnel and a door. Through the door was a room with 5 ogres camped. They were obviously set up as guards, but were defeated fairly swiftly. This is the Southwest corner of the Temple of Earth.

I wanted to get them back on track, but not so swiftly it felt like railroading. As such, there were many opportunities for the characters to go further off the rails if they wanted, but I had decided the last mine would be a back entrance to the temple, through which the cultists had come to set off the destruction orb in the nearby town.

I decided a while ago not to worry about the total mismatch between above ground distances and underground distances in this module. If any of the players notice and question it I will just say something worryingly vague - "Yes, that does seem unusual doesn't it?".

But we are back on track. I'm not sure if the players realise it yet.

andrew

First Post
I'm still having a bit of trouble figuring out if the Elder Eye needs ALL of the Princes or just ONE Prince. If shutting down a single node or killing a Prophet or stealing a weapon prevents a Prince from coming, that ruins the ultimate plan, yes?

Why not both?

The Elder Elemental Eye (EEE) only needs ONE prince to open the portal, but it’s not a guaranteed thing. Each prince/artifact/node combo increases the chance of opening the portal.

1 prince: 25% chance to free EEE
2 princes: 50% chance to free EEE
3 princes: 75% chance to free EEE
4 princes: 100% chance to free EEE

If you want to get complicated (or really like charts), you can assign a base % to each prince, plus bonus % for each node and artifact still remaining.

The goal of the EEE cult is to have all the princes present, but they can still attempt to free EEE with only one.

Remove ads