D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse campaign recaps

LapBandit

First Post
Being quite removed from PotA now I want to suggest something about the final fights. Put the elemental weapon that closes the rift in the hand of the prophet, put the prophet INSIDE the prince, almost like a suit of armor. Force the PCs to peel the "armor" that is the Prince off before they can get at the prophet. Also have the prince obviously begin to reconstitute itself when they are fighting the exposed prophet. I wish I had thought of this when they fought Olhydra.

Nailen

Explorer
We finished at Dellmon Ranch last night.

The orcs sent another 23 out in four groups. Again, the party and defenders used their ranged attacks with good effect. Even with disadvantage, if you keep firing out arrows you will hit eventually...
The raiding party got badly beaten and around 7 or 8 made it back to the ridge.

There was time for a rest, and the Rogue/Wizard sent his familiar to spy out the Orc camp - he reports back that there are 11 orcs and two big guys. The orcs are gathering sticks, brushwood, leaves and grass. Some are sharpening new spears, some are tending their wounds.

A few hours later fires are seen on the ridge and a pall of smoke covers the compound and the ground leading to the orcs. Within 20 mins visibility is down to 30 feet. The party succeeded on a Perception check vs the Orcs stealth, so there was no surprise and the battle began...!

In the end it was a bit too easy for the defenders. Two druids casting Spike Growth and Entangle boosted the defences. Especially Spike Growth which turns out to be pretty awesome if you 'Ready' it for when creatures get to a certain spot...
I gave the Orog a Ring of the Ram which it used to bash down one of the barricades and then to attack the party dwarf. When it hit I managed to roll 19 damage which elicited a suitable reaction.

Overall though, a 5th level party were too tough for the Orcs. I should have boosted there numbers, perhaps with some warg riders, or an Orc War Chief or a troll or something. I'll chalk it down to experience.
The players enjoyed the battle, and in the end that is the most important thing. :)

Next stop, Sacred Stone Monastery...

Nailen

Explorer
They headed back to Red Larch for beer and adoration!
Thorg the dwarf picked up some better armour and they were handily awarded a scroll of two Knock spells for saving Dellmon Ranch.

On to Sacred Stone Monastery. (Arrival time, late afternoon)
Not surprisingly, they scouted around the perimeter first. There was some interest in the garden, but the statues made them fear a basilisk or similar so they went for the door near the ruined section (and next to the dojo). They picked the lock and entered. They have high PP so they noticed that the floors were dusty and unused.
They heard murmuring and chanting behind the dojo door so continued. The door to Renwick has no keyhole but they can't open it "We'll come back to this.."
To cut a long story short, they saw the distillery, failed to pick the lock to Hellenrae's study and then found the stairs down to the cellar/well/mines.
Figuring that they wouldn't be heard they decided to engage Jurth and friends in combat, and won.

Thoughts for continuing - while they explore the mines, the monks will go to bed and the duergar will be on patrol.
If they fight the Umber Hulk, the duergar will hear and arrive invisibly and having grown, they'll then get a surprise attack...
Renwick will be relatively friendly and offer some advice.
The prisoners will warn of a monster to the NW
Bruldenthar will provide a lot of info about the delegation and urge the party on to rescue the other delegates.
If and when they fight Quarbo in his quarters, the other monks will awaken and join the battle. Be interesting to see how the party react to potentially being overwhelmed.
I think they will be able to handle it, but it's about time they got a bit scared...

Nailen

Explorer
They explored the crypt and fought off the zombies, after some initial concern they would be mummies! The tomb of Samular Caradoon initially confuses them, Then they notice the lid has been recently moved and they take a look inside. They recognise the body from the description of the Mirabar delegation. But why is it here..?? They subsequently failed to open Arcane Locked door so continued...
They discover the Hall of Thirsting Stone with the Umber Hulk on the far side. It roars and slams the bars but fails the STR check and remains caged. The party retreat.
After some tedious exploring and mapping of tunnels they finally find the prisoners and Bruldenthar. The dwarf sage fills in gaps and provides linking information so that party have a better idea of what happened to the Mirabar Delegation. They now also understand that there are Cult temples far underground in Tyar Besil.
Bruldenthar wishes to accompany the party beyond the arcane locked door - he's never seen a lich before! To seem useful he even offers to cast the Knock spell as the rogue/wizard isn't confident about some of the trickier pronunciation.
They approach Renwick who initially warns them off. But mention of the Knights of Samular and Summit Hall makes him more friendly. He offers some trinkets if the party promise to expel the "irritating cultists" from the monastery. He also says that a flight of stairs in the NW of the mines leads down to their temple, "but by the look of you, you might find it a bit challenging." And he mentions they might find something useful in the crypt.

The party are all very pleased with themselves for surviving their first lich encounter. However, they still have to fight their way out!!

Nailen

Explorer
They went back to the well room in order to head back upstairs and met three patrolling duergar.
I was somewhat disappointed at how easily they killed them off!
They head upstairs and sneak around. The rogue/wizard attempts to pick the lock on Hellenrae's bedroom. She hears and yanks the door open and smacks him up - all three hits land and the little guy is feeling pained.
I played the combat badly I think - didn't use the ability to stun someone and I completely forgot that she would try to run away... They found notes on Marlos Unrayle and explored to Scriptorum to find the other goodies.
They continue on and find the south dormitory. The monks wake up and put up a bit of a fight, but not that much really against 5 5th level PCs who make good use of their skills.
They finished that battle and were just starting to search bodies when the door burst open and two Black Earth guards enter. Quarbo just behind them.
Plan is to cast Slow and then Earth Tremor to get them prone for the BE Guards to smack up. The party monk may cast Silence, so Quarbo will have to move into the room.
And in 2 more rounds, the other 4 SS monks will arrive from the other dorm.

Hopefully this will provide a fairly stern test without being lethal...

The players are still enjoying the adventure and I am glad that I decided to liberally sprinkle extra clues around. They like being able to piece it together and work out what is going on.
When they head back to Red Larch I will use an idea I found somewhere to have the villagers talking about the Circle of the Scarlet Moon, and how they say that their Rite of the Wicker Giant will help cleanse the Sumber Hills of the weird weather phenomena.

Nailen

Explorer
As usual, the party blindsided me during the combat.
The Black Earth guards entered the room and Quarbo stood in the doorway. He cast Slow and only 2 of the 5 PCs failed their save.
The rogue/wizard then cast Grease and Quarbo slipped over.
Things then got worse for my plan when I read Earth Tremor properly and realised it was 20ft radius centred on self... Bugger!
We agreed that he could cast while lying prone and so he cast Shatter instead. Again, not as much damage as I hoped.

The Black Earth guards didn't manage to put up too much resistance. The druid was still in bear form and attempted to WWF-style bodyslam Quarbo and pin him to the floor to prevent further casting. The bodyslam worked, but he was able to wriggle out of the pin.
In fairly short order Quarbo and the BE Guards were down, and the next round of Sacred Stone monks appeared. They attempted to leap the bear and join the fray. One failed his acrobatics check and was opportunity attacked by the prone bear.

Again, the battle didn't last very long, but the party were steadily taking damage.
I'd kind of like to re-run at least half of the battles we've done in the module as I think I could play them better a second time. Not that I want to kill anyone, but the battles all seem to be something of a walkover at the moment. Quarbo should have entered the room next to the BE Guards so that the Earth Tremor spell would have worked

They explored the rest of the monastery and were intrigued by the stair trap. The went down the stairs and decided to ping arrows at the umber hulk. One of them also cast Spike Growth at it. It went crazy and succeeded on the STR check to break down the cage door. Seething with rage it advanced through the spikes taking 24 damage. It managed to land a hit and then was hit with a Colour Spray spell (it was down to 3hp by this point due to various ranged attacks). It missed with all three attacks and then was felled by the dwarf.

They've returned to Red Larch for rest and levelling up action.

Next on the agenda is Scarlet Moon Hall - I think this could be where things get a bit tougher. I've not run a fire elemental before, but it looks pretty tasty if you get too close!! And the Fire priests can all cast Fireball twice.
I also want to run the Curse of the Fire Witch/Nettlebee Ranch side quest. Reading the blurb, it seems this is Earth Cult revenge for the party attacking Sacred Stone monastery, so it doesn't make sense for it to happen straight away - I think it needs to come after they have been to Scarlet Moon Hall.
Who has run it, and do you have any advice? I skipped The Long Road as it looked a bit boring. But this one has a revenant and some crazy barbarians to deal with.

Sir Brennen

Legend
My own PotA campaign is moving along slowly (only twice, sometimes once a month sessions). Party is fourth level (started at 1st) with six PCs, and have traveled a fair bit around the valley following leads. They've been to Sacred Stone Monastery, met Renwick, but beat a hasty retreat when stealth failed them (got surprised by the gargoyles in the hall right outside the main shrine.) Riverguard Keep was the next major stop, and it went much better as they snuck in during the middle of the night, but it was primarily an info gathering mission. They took out exactly one fathomer and kidnapped a guard for questioning. A second stealth excursion was made down the Dark Stream, but I've decided to prevent access to the underground temples and the Fane until they've dealt with the surface outposts.

To do this, I've introduced a minor magical vortex at the end of each path to the temples (the Dark Stream in this case) which has a pylon near it. The pylons all have four elaborate keyholes, and a symbol by each keyhole corresponding to the elemental cults. The vortexes can be shutdown and the path completed by either using all four keys, or a single key used by a true believer (elemental cultist) of sufficient rank on the appropriate path (only Jolliver can open the vortex on the Dark Stream - a glowing whirlpool in a dead-end alcove - for example). The "boss" of each of the above ground outposts each have the key corresponding to their cult. An identify on the Dark Stream pylon has given the party an idea of what it takes to get past them. Even so, the party has been taking prisoners and have already mentioned possibly capturing a "true believer" to get past the vortex without having to get all the keys first.

Also, I figured out what the story behind the missing coffin from the caravan is. This was a Knight of Salamar on the way to Summit Hall. It's ultimate whereabouts are never mentioned in the adventure. I've decided that the Earth cultists took it, seeing it as an opportunity to learn more about Summit Hall via speak with dead. The plan is to attack Summit Hall to retrieve the body of Salamar as a gift for Renwick, hopefully to gain him as an ally. Through questioning prisoners, the party learned the earth cult have the coffin, and, having met Renwick, pieced the plan together themselves. Now they're torn between going to Summit Hall to help defend against an attack, or take the fight directly to the cult that almost killed them last time at the Monastery. They're back in Red Larch, so the latter is closer. The cult has had the coffin almost a month at this point, so they don't know how close they are to attacking Summit Hall (the cultists are waiting for the elemental call to draw in more recruits/monsters to help at this point.)

sim-h

Explorer
I like - no, love - your plan for the body of the Knight being a Knight of Samular who the earth cultists want to speak with. I'll steal that I think, in my PBF version (the face to face version already got way past there).

So the knight can then be in Renwick's antechamber sarcophagus after all (as per the PotA errata). Renwick took it over from the earth cultists, who want him to speak with dead, but Hellenrae hasn't convinced him yet.

sim-h

Explorer
I also want to run the Curse of the Fire Witch/Nettlebee Ranch side quest. Reading the blurb, it seems this is Earth Cult revenge for the party attacking Sacred Stone monastery, so it doesn't make sense for it to happen straight away - I think it needs to come after they have been to Scarlet Moon Hall.
Who has run it, and do you have any advice? I skipped The Long Road as it looked a bit boring. But this one has a revenant and some crazy barbarians to deal with.

I did the same as this - Scarlet Moon Hall and then Curse of the Fire Witch (I also skipped the Long Road - a garbled and badly written side trek featuring more bandits? No thanks!). I got the players to Westbridge to meet some of the 'good' druids at Scarlet Moon hall who had fled there, and hooked them in from there.

It played OK - nothing spectacular but they enjoyed it - and the boons they got! They killed the 'bad' halflings easily, siding with the revenant chieftain and his cohorts in exhange for the lives of the other halflings. It's more of a fact-finding and negotiation mission than anything else, and I thought it was quite low challenge but still enjoyable.

Nailen

Explorer
Sorry for the long extended silence, I will attempt a rapid recap.

The Nettlebee Ranch/Fire Witch quest came up while they were resting in Red Larch. They sided with the revenant and the barbarians and enjoyed it.
On the way to Scarlet Moon Hall they were attacked by air cultists on eagles. Some awesome use of lightning bolt gave the party a wake-up call that things are getting tougher.
At Scarlet Moon Hall the party teamed up with the hippy druids with the elk. They visited a few of the camps and then headed up the hill. The fight with the fire elemental was fun. The illusionist created a water elemental illusion as distraction and the monk used the shadow step ability to take out the crossbowmen on the balcony.
Return to Red Larch and they meet one of the Aarackokra who says cultists have been seen disappearing into a narrow valley near Feathergale Spire. This, of course, leads the party down into the Air Temple.
They meet the djinni who persuades them to fight Aerisi and smash the horn. He also tells them about Windharrow and the Wynd Weirds. They figure this could be a way to get access to Aerisi, so use Minor Illusion to make it appear like they can play.
Aerisi enjoys the performance but then announces she recognises them as the ruffians who cleared out Feathergale Spire - they have falled for an Earth Cult trick. Go to the Earth Temple and kill them all as penance!
The party consider this, but the djinni sees them and knows the horn is not broken. He tells them Aerisi expects them to die in the Earth Temple and to get back in there.
They formulate a plan, which as usual, is more effective than I would like - Aerisi is killed without getting a chance to use Chain Lightning. :(
This week they just fought the cultists in the bottom level of the pyramid and are planning to find, capture, question and then kill Windharrow, then clear out the rest of the temple. The guy flying about on the Wyvern is going to be suspicious of the 10ft pole/spear they are carrying and give it his all to fight them. Hopefully the wyvern can get one tail spike hit on someone... I will probably also have most of the cultists desert the temple as they can sense that Aerisi is dead.

The players are still very much enjoying the adventure. By using the event based levelling, they are rising up the ranks quickly and enjoying their new abilities.
From my side, I tend the reflect on most battles and encounters and think on how I could have run them better. But it's great fun.

With Aerisi dead - will the lower Air levels be deserted?? I think there's less reason for the party to head into them but they might head there anyway.

I still need to get my head around the topography of the place.
The temple levels are separate, but linked by tunnels.
They all have links down to the Fane of the Eye, which has parts related to each cult but it's all much closer together. Within the Fane of the Eye is the Temple of Elemental Eye (which is where the next prophet encounter will happen). From the Fane are further links down to Howling Caves, Plunging Torrents, Black Geode and Weeping Colossus.
So, I'm thinking my party will be unlikely to head into the Howling Caves.

I might have the party discover an ancient map/description of the city of Tyar Besil so they get an idea of the general layout. I think it could get too confusing otherwise.

Remove ads