• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse - More Magic Items

maceochaid

Explorer
My players are getting a little grumpy about the lack of Magic Items in the Princes of the Apocalypse, and I kind of want to see how Magic Items play out in 5th edition. As the book is written I am only handing out magic scrolls that very few of my players can use. I could use some recommendations on how to up the possibility of more magic items. I'm thinking of adding 2 hordes to each dungeon (effectively 2 hordes per character level, one lower level and one higher level) that seems about right to me, but I would love to know what others think.

More stuff means more powerful players. Unless you add items such as Wish or Scry granting ones, I don't think that anything in the dungeons themselves will break if you add more items. I mean, I guess that the Fire Node might be a funky place if your players bring along a Decanter of Endless Water, but that would probably be more amusing than anything. So if your players want more magic items, and you are happy with them becoming more powerful, I would be tempted to just give them some.

The gold and whatnot from a Hoard will not be hugely useful to them in the adventure - it isn't really the kind of game where building a keep or whatever is going to feature - but equally it won't hurt anything. Richer characters or poorer characters, either way they'll have enough money to sleep in the best rooms in the inn and carry eight months of trail rations, so I wouldn't frown too hard over that aspect of it.

I would probably suggest that, instead of adding Hoards, you just roll up/select some nice items that your players will enjoy, preferably elemental themed ones, and then add them wherever. I might do the same actually, since my players keep getting destroyed by the bad guys, and they could probably do with a nudge up in power to compensate for tears over dead characters ;)

FedeII

First Post
I wouldn't worry too much about players' power level....if they seem to have become too strong, simply add more low-level monsters, or give consumable (and immediately used) magic items to enemies!

Another way would be to give non-rechargeable rods/staff/special power weapons, they will still feel powerful and full of tricks.

I believe everyone can use scrolls in 5E.

Nope! DMG p.200 "If the spell is on your class's spell list you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell's components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible".
Which makes sense, to me.

CapnZapp

Legend
I believe everyone can use scrolls in 5E.

Nope! DMG p.200 "If the spell is on your class's spell list you can use an action to read the scroll and cast its spell without having to provide any of the spell's components. Otherwise, the scroll is unintelligible".

Paragon is right.

But only because scrolls does not only mean spell scrolls in 5E.

Why Wotc would use the "scroll" term for "scrolls of protection" and add godawful amounts of confusion to the game nobody knows. When this highly specific magic item could have been renamed "parchment of protection" or whatever and a scroll could remain what everybody thinks it is.

But the fact remains: everyone can use scrolls, except for "spell scrolls"... :hmm:

That 99% of all scrolls in the game and 99% of all scrolls you will ever find won't be useable by everyone does not mean that Paragon is wrong.

Check out Scroll of Protection on page 199 of the DMG, and Spell Scrolls on page 200.

Asaris

Explorer
I've been giving out magic items to player's who write a session summary. It's a nice bribe for them, and gets a few more magic items into the game.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If your problem is that the group can't DPR fast enough to keep up with Team Monster, let them find some weapons with a permanent _Elemental Weapon_ spell cast on them. (Shortswords are usable by almost everybody.)
The Barbarian may not be too impressed with the boost of a 1d12 + 1d4 Greatcleaver, but the Rogue throwing 1d4 + 1d4 Daggers will be happy.

Hmmm, what would a Wet Dagger DO when you use its power?

edit: I should think of this stuff BEFORE I hit 'Save'

Specialized equipment can be fun but not over-powerful. Designated Scouts probably want an Elven Cloak (and Boots).

After cleaning out the Necromancer's cave, I want to play with a Rope of Climbing to get up that first big step.

A Magnifying Glass with Light in it could be comic relief.

If somebody has a Tool Kit proficiency but no tools, have an important NPC drop one as he flees the heroes' approach.

Imagine a set of Tailors Tools with Mending cast on it.

My group, the Sorcerer has Mending. We made friends with the Constable with an armory full of worthless beat-up old junk. I'm about to get an upgrade of my armor from Leather to Studded Leather - she's making a set from the bits and pieces! (I will donate my current gear to the Armory as a gesture of goodwill - everybody comes out ahead.)

Last edited:

maceochaid

Explorer
Well I'm definitely all for rolling for things, a wondrous item that at first seems "what the heck" becomes a very memorable moment later on in the game when used with ingenuity.

I think I will just add a few rolls on the magic items table in each dungeon and keep the monetary treasure as is. I want them to get magic cloaks covered in eyes and flasks that summon genies a lot more than dishing out +1 Longswords of boring sauce.

Huntsman57

First Post
I've got a 3E state of mind. I don't want magical items overrunning the game, but at the same time players take satisfaction on saving their money to have the chance to buy something they really want. On the other hand, as a DM, I rather enjoy rolling the random tables.

5E largely regulates itself when it comes to magical items since so many items require you to attune to them, and you can only attune to 3 items at any given time.

It's not to say I think every small village should have a "magic shop" with a barrel of surplus +1 swords outside, but many small towns could have an individual who can create scrolls and potions, and in larger cities a couple of pointed questions to someone who knows a guy could lead the players to an individual with even a couple permanent uncommon magical items to sell at a premium. A major metropolitan city like Waterdeep? A major magical convention goes through there once per year and at that time rare or even the remote possibility of a very rare item could be found at exorbitant prices. Legendary items, however, should only ever be handed out by the DM. Naturally this holds even more true for artifacts.

Remove ads