• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Princes of the Apocalypse question

HobbitFan

Explorer
I'm reading through my copy now and it seems to me that while the bad guys get descriptive write-ups, most of the friendly NPCs are pretty much just given names/race/class.

Did I miss soemthing? Where is the detail on the important faction leaders and the like in this storyline?
It looks the Sidetrack chapter and the Red Larch sections goes into NPcs a little but the whole rest of the book has nothing it seems about what the good guys are doing.

Anyone think this is strange?

HobbitFan

Explorer
Something else, it seems like a zoomed out map is missing orienting the local Dessarin Vlalley area map to more regional ones say like in the Starter Box or the Tyranny of Dragons adventures.

Another trouble shooting thing I thought of. It seems like the encounter with the "Dark Lady" at Rundreth Manor (in sidetreks chapter) might go south witthout the Players learning the cult information. Or they might never play this sidetrek.
My fix would be to have some of the cult lore be known by the dwarf sage Bruldenthar, the one from Mirabar. So either talking to him when he's rescued or reading any of his books they find would net the players that information.

Last edited:

On the map thing the Dessarin Valley is a much larger map then the one in the Starter set (The Hexs in the maps are 10 Miles a pop to the Starter sets 5.). The two maps are actually really close together. If you compare them as they share landmarks.

The Dessarin Valley is a regional map.

HobbitFan

Explorer
Thanks for the links Paraxis. The Sword Coast map from Hoard of the Dragon Queen is good for figuring our where the adventure area is in relation the Sword Coast in general.
I also found a useful map on page 174 of the 3E FR camapign setting.
Back when I played a bunch, I knew alot of this stuff without looking it up but it's been many a day since I played the Realms in earnest.

Nebulous

Legend
Thanks for the links Paraxis. The Sword Coast map from Hoard of the Dragon Queen is good for figuring our where the adventure area is in relation the Sword Coast in general.
I also found a useful map on page 174 of the 3E FR camapign setting.
Back when I played a bunch, I knew alot of this stuff without looking it up but it's been many a day since I played the Realms in earnest.

I love the Realms maps, it has always drawn us so much into the setting.

I'm reading through my copy now and it seems to me that while the bad guys get descriptive write-ups, most of the friendly NPCs are pretty much just given names/race/class.

Did I miss soemthing? Where is the detail on the important faction leaders and the like in this storyline?
It looks the Sidetrack chapter and the Red Larch sections goes into NPcs a little but the whole rest of the book has nothing it seems about what the good guys are doing.

Anyone think this is strange?
Unfortunate but not strange. The author is the same one who did the adventure for the Starter Set that wasn't exactly bursting with colourful NPCs.

Are personality traits, bonds, flaws, and ideals mentioned at all? I was super disappointed those were omitted from Tyranny of Dragons.

pukunui

Legend
Another trouble shooting thing I thought of. It seems like the encounter with the "Dark Lady" at Rundreth Manor (in sidetreks chapter) might go south witthout the Players learning the cult information. Or they might never play this sidetrek.
My fix would be to have some of the cult lore be known by the dwarf sage Bruldenthar, the one from Mirabar. So either talking to him when he's rescued or reading any of his books they find would net the players that information.
It's always a good idea to have more than one way to succeed.

HobbitFan

Explorer
Another issue: the adventure ends up taking place in a pretty localized area and doesn't venture too far afield.
Since so many of the later portions are one dungeon after another...I think there may be a serious risk of player and DM loosing interest in repetitive encounters. The final inner sanction stuff is all very eleemntal themed and flavorful but i can see alot of the section before that clearing out the abandoned dwarf works the 4 cults have taken over getting pretty dull quick.

I'm trying to think of cool other places in the Realms to move 3 of the Temples outside this valley to vary things up.
I'm rusty on Realms history right now so I'm having to wiki a great deal but I'm working on it.
I'll get back to you guys on what I come up with in hopes that it might help out DMs who feel similarly.

Cheers!

HobbitFan aka Monty

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads