EN World Privacy Controls: Two-Way Blocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Really? All of the stupid, passive-aggressive bad behavior you've dealt with for years and you can't see a use case for someone doing this? And it's hard to detect -- if I note it happening from someone that's blocked me, it's not like I can report their post -- I can't see it!
If it becomes a widespread issue, we’ll do something about it. If there’s an occasional case of somebody abusing the function, we’ll do something about that too. I suspect that we’ll spend more time posting about hypothetical problems like that than actually dealing with them. I don’t really have anything more to say about that topic unless something changes.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Honest answer? You won't like it. I'll give you a chance to not read it...

Because, if this is done, it is probably because you have been extremely annoying or aggravating. Maybe not in a way that red text and warning points were brought to bear, but in a way that motivated someone to do their best to cut you out of their lives.

Maybe that's not so great a moment to consider yourself the victim of the piece.
Yes the person blocking is definitely always in the right. 🙄

I mean, I'm just happy that I can set it so that people who would deny my humanity will no longer be graced with my incredible content :sneaky:
Yeah this, at the end of the day. I don’t like that I’m seeing posts that don’t even reference the fact that content is being hidden, and thus I don’t even know that they’re quoting someone. It’s annoying as hell. But at least I can properly block people now.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Fun fact though; of the three people who were previously on my block list, one appears to have been disinvited and the other two haven't "graced" us with their presence in almost a year.

It seems to me that if there does become a problem it will ultimately become self-correcting.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
Nice that people have the option, but I've generally found it easier to just scroll past posts I'm not interested in. My main desired use to block people would be to remove completely off-topic conversation that derail threads so I can just read the on-topic posts. But you can't block people on a thread by thread basis, so I just give my index finger a work out on the old scroll wheel.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I can't say I've been a fan of the unilaterally-imposed two-way block, either in the previous version of the boards or this one. People should manage their own blocked list, not each others'.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
There's some interesting discussion going on about this feature...mostly interesting because of the stance that a handful of people are taking against it. Either I'm incredibly naive or hopelessly optimistic, or both, but I don't see a problem with it.

I like the feature, @Morrus . It makes it harder for problematic people to circumvent moderation, and I think that's a good thing.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Sure, except you took the time to imply outright state I was behaving badly merely because I was blocked. I'll accept this as an apology, then?
He already said he that he was using a general "you" not talking about you specifically, so why continue this bad faith line of argument?

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
He already said he that he was using a general "you" not talking about you specifically, so why continue this bad faith line of argument?
Post #19, in the spoiler block, not post #21, which is where he has that qualifier. I have no real issue with post #21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads