Pro-GM Finder Site StartPlaying Raises $6.5M Funding

StartPlaying, which bills itself as "the largest site for connecting players with professional and hobbyist Game Masters to play any game system on any virtual tabletop" has reportedly raised $6.5M in funding from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. This new funding is intended to scale up the business, including marketing and doubling its team size. "Beyond growing a user base, this...

StartPlaying, which bills itself as "the largest site for connecting players with professional and hobbyist Game Masters to play any game system on any virtual tabletop" has reportedly raised $6.5M in funding from venture capital firm Andreessen Horowitz. This new funding is intended to scale up the business, including marketing and doubling its team size.

dragon.jpg

"Beyond growing a user base, this is about community. Whether it's helping Game Masters and players find each other or collaborating with industry partners, we're proud to have the opportunity to bring people together through the power of games. The tabletop role-playing community is at its best when it's inclusive. We want StartPlaying to continue breaking down barriers for new players.
-Devon Chulick, StartPlaying"​

StartPlaying launched in September 2020 and has over 1,000 professional GMs on its books, having hosted over 100,000 games.

I have to ask, what’s considered professional. I have 30+ years as an adult gm under my belt, with hundreds of hours of gm sessions and design work. Or is it professional because the are now getting paid?

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Out of curiosity what is the going rate for players in these types of games? Im sure it varies but is there an average that people are paying and GMs can expect?

Reynard

Legend
I have done some pro-GM work. It is interesting, but it isn't the same as running for friends/acquaintances, or even running at a con. It is a professional service and for me that sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

Aside from that: what is going on with Millenials* and GenZ* [EDIT] players entering the hobby now that they don't want to GM?

*Broadly speaking, as I assume those are the majority of new people entering the hobby.

Last edited:

I have done some pro-GM work. It is interesting, but it isn't the same as running for friends/acquaintances, or even running at a con. It is a professional service and for me that sucks a lot of the fun out of it.

Aside from that: what is going on with Millenials* and GenZ* that they don't want to GM?

*Broadly speaking, as I assume those are the majority of new people entering the hobby.
As a Forever DM, it's my observation that across all demos, most people don't DM.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Aside from that: what is going on with Millenials* and GenZ* [EDIT] players entering the hobby now that they don't want to GM?

It's not that easy to just do it. There is a learning curve that takes time and experience. Also, many folks only want to play and don't want to GM even if they had the time. It's anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, but I find GMs have always been on the rare side of the player base.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads