Problem marking forums read

maransreth

Explorer
I have been attempting to mark the forums read and every time I do I get a database error page loading.

Clicked the link 5 or so times over the last 5 minutes and no success.

Is this a 2010 problem ;) or something else?

maransreth

Explorer
I am attempting to mark ALL forums read, via the link at the bottom of the forums.

Havent tried marking individual forums, as I have always marked all as read once I have finished.

If more info is needed, I am using IE 7.0

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There are dozens of bugs in our current codebase. Rather than try to hunt them all down, this year we will be upgrading the software to a totally new platform (vBulletin 4.x for those interested). It will be a major change, and we'll be starting from a clean, freshly installed codebase which will - at least at launch! - be error-free.

Over the last decade, we've installed so many hacks and modifications that this codebase no longer resembles the original. The new codebase will be superior in many, many ways; it'll fix a ton of issues, it will add functionality; it will also - unfortunately - remove a load of hacks we've added. So some functionality will actually disappear and will only gradually be added via hacks over a period of time (until we're in the same position in a few years where so many hacks have been added that the codebase needs replacing again!)

Such is the cycle of software. It never ends. But it gradually gets better (in theory, at least).

XCorvis

First Post
There are dozens of bugs in our current codebase. Rather than try to hunt them all down, this year we will be upgrading the software to a totally new platform (vBulletin 4.x for those interested). It will be a major change, and we'll be starting from a clean, freshly installed codebase which will - at least at launch! - be error-free.

Huzzah! Is there a rough launch date?

maransreth

Explorer

Over the last decade, we've installed so many hacks and modifications that this codebase no longer resembles the original. The new codebase will be superior in many, many ways; it'll fix a ton of issues, it will add functionality; it will also - unfortunately - remove a load of hacks we've added. So some functionality will actually disappear and will only gradually be added via hacks over a period of time (until we're in the same position in a few years where so many hacks have been added that the codebase needs replacing again!)

Such is the cycle of software. It never ends. But it gradually gets better (in theory, at least).

So what you are saying (I think) is that although the bug started only a day or so ago, the problem won't be looked at, as it is unknown where to start until such a time as everything is looked at.

What method would you recommend to mark threads read so readers see only new threads/posts since they last logged in?

Merkuri

Explorer
What method would you recommend to mark threads read so readers see only new threads/posts since they last logged in?

You can mark individual forums read just fine. What I do is when I'm done looking at a forum I use the "mark forum read" option. This obviously won't do all forums at once, but it works perfectly fine about the forums I care about, and I don't really care if the others show they have new stuff in them or not.

maransreth

Explorer
Merkuri, thanks. How do you mark individual forums read?

I have had a look at a few different forums and cant seem to find an option to mark that forum.

Any help is appreciated.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads