Problems Alternating DM's?

DarrenGMiller

First Post
Steel_Wind said:
I'm not following here.

Are you asking about your group having two campaigns, run by two different DMs?

Or the same campaign run by two different DMs?

Case #1 - been like that for 15 years in my group. Not a problem at all.

Case #2 - don't bother. Serious issue here. But - sometimes ppl got to try it themselves just to satisfy the itch and learn for themselves "yeah this sucks".

I am asking about case #1. I know a group that does case #2 with great success, but I am not interested in it.

DM

Nightcloak

First Post
As others have said, the biggest problem is continuity. It'll work fine if your players can remember details through the down times. I have over came this in the past by:

1. Having a player keep a journal (In character which is a lot of fun) and rewarding them with a bonus (XP, hero points, etc.). I have them read from it at the beginning of the sessions.

2. When their is no one who wants to do this (happens periodicaly - depending on the characters), then I just recap the essentials at the beginning of the "first" session.

But usually their is one character who is either into the idea from a RP perspective or someone who is out to get the bonus.

TheGM

First Post
Like everyone else has said, it can cause continuity problems.

Another issue that I have seen (this really depends upon group) is the issue of the GM from one game tiptoeing around so he doesn't get smacked when he's not GM. If your group is one of those adversarial ones, this can, and has happened. I've seen players who were so ruined by years of this that it took a lot of work to get them to play well in a normal campaign.

Remove ads