D&D 3E/3.5 Problems with 3.5 Power Attack?

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
I noticed recently that the feat Power Attack in 3.5 allows double bonus damage with a two-handed weapon. For example, if you are swinging a great axe and have power attack you can sacrifice 5 points from you BAB for an extra 10 points of damage.

I havn't house rulled this yet but I have to admit I am a bit worried about the amount of damage that could potentially be dished out. My group and Ihave decided to give it a shot and see if it overbalances our game.

Has anyone had any problems with this yet? Or have you found that it works just fine?

Dirge

reapersaurus

Explorer
What's the problem with fighter-types doing damage?

That's their function, and the mages don't have any problem dishing out quite a bit of damage.... why limit fighter PC's in the one area that their supposed to be effective?

Corlon

First Post
I like it because it reduces greatly the damage that the highly dexterous rogue can do with a dagger and weapon finesse.

Plus, if the double damage becoming a problem, make enemies with high AC or something to keep the fighters on their toes.

Jhyrryl

First Post
The numbers have been run, there is nothing wrong with the new power attack. Fighters are supposed to be heavy hitters, especially if they're using a two-handed weapon, sacrificing significant AC to do so. And yes, even using an animated shield, the fighter is sacrificing significant AC.

BLACKDIRGE

Adventurer
reapersaurus said:
What's the problem with fighter-types doing damage?

That's their function, and the mages don't have any problem dishing out quite a bit of damage.... why limit fighter PC's in the one area that their supposed to be effective?

I agree. I don't think fighters should be limited in combat effectiveness.

The double damage thing just caught me by surprise and I wanted to see if anyone had actually used it in game and what the results were.

Dirge

Cyraneth

First Post
BLACKDIRGE said:

I agree. I don't think fighters should be limited in combat effectiveness.

The double damage thing just caught me by surprise and I wanted to see if anyone had actually used it in game and what the results were.

Dirge
But there is still a slight difference between "limited" and "prevented from getting out of hand"... If the feat proves to be an ogre-slayer, the melee classes might take over the field of battle entirely, only needing a wizard to create magic items, a cleric to buff, and a rogue not at all...

- Cyraneth

James McMurray

First Post
Jhyrryl said:
And yes, even using an animated shield, the fighter is sacrificing significant AC.

How? They lose 2 points of AC because they have to use the bonus to put animated on their shield. Is 10% really "significant"?

reapersaurus

Explorer
Cyraneth said:
But there is still a slight difference between "limited" and "prevented from getting out of hand"... If the feat proves to be an ogre-slayer, the melee classes might take over the field of battle entirely, only needing a wizard to create magic items, a cleric to buff, and a rogue not at all...
Wow... that's one of the most unsupported statements I've ever read on this board.
(a guy after my own heart ;) )

How does an effective fighter take away the palpable things that wizards, clerics, or rogues do?
(BTW: all those classes have things they can do out of combat - a fighter doesn't)

I don't see you sticking up for the fighter-types over in the Scorching Ray thread, or the Eldritch Knight thread, or the Ray of Enfeeblement thread, crying out that a combat-effective wizard is infringing on the ONLY thing the fighter can do.

Adam Coath

First Post
Here is another question: If a monk power attacks with his quarterstaff while using flurry of blows should he get +2 damage per -1 penalty to hit? I don't see anything in the rules that contradicts this.

dbm

Savage!
I don't have my book with me, but I'm pretty sure that when a character uses a double weapon to two-weapon fight they are no longer considered to be weilding a two-handed weapon, but rather a medium and a light weapon instead.

I think this is stated in the section where it describes how strength bonuses to damage are multiplied by 1.5 when a person uses a two-handed weapon.

Cheers,
Dan

Remove ads