D&D 3E/3.5 Problems with 3.5 Power Attack?

Cyraneth

First Post
Storminator said:

Empowered spells come up a lot less often.

PS
Sure, but I think the point was, that multiplying a number by 1.5 isn't that hard... I mean, with Power Attack you rarely transfer more than, say, 10 points. And let me presume that most on these boards knows what 10 times 1.5 is..

- Cyraneth

TuDogz

First Post
quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by med stud
Is it anyone who has played with the new power attack and can answer if they think its good or not?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not a mathematician but my Half-Orc Barbarian is effectively using this ability although we play 3.0 and his damage output is huge relative to everybody in the party except the sorceror on occassion. This is the character's primary focus. He is not concerned about AC.

Build:

STR 34 : 19(starting) + 2(level ups) +5(inherent) +6(belt) +2(rage)

wields a +5 keen great axe and has improved crit.

Uses all out attack: +2 to attack -4 AC

Bard buddy singing for morale: +1

BAB = +13

Base to hit with axe: +33 Base damage: 1d12+24(18-20)

Against all but the highest AC opponents he regularly shifts all 13 points with power attack.

PA to hit with axe: +20 Base damage 1d12+50(18-20)

Raged he has 176 hp. He can take down almost anything before it can take him down. We use 3.5 haste and with full attack he threatens a crit every other round on average.

I have become concerned that he is not balanced with the rest of the party. While I have admittedly spent 15 levels getting him to this point I can't help but wonder if the 2x bonus isn't pushing him over the top.

Geoff Watson

First Post
The old Power Attack was nearly useless if you already did significant damage. The 3.5 version is actually worth using, as the old one usually reduced your average damage, rather than increase it.

Geoff.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
TuDogz said:
(snip) Raged he has 176 hp. He can take down almost anything before it can take him down. We use 3.5 haste and with full attack he threatens a crit every other round on average.

I have become concerned that he is not balanced with the rest of the party. While I have admittedly spent 15 levels getting him to this point I can't help but wonder if the 2x bonus isn't pushing him over the top.

I had a player with a similar character in a campaign that concluded when they reached 23rd level. Sure, he was an absolute beast in melee, but he dreaded hold person spells and brain lock powers (both of which are only 2nd level), even when the caster/manifester was literally a fraction of his level.

I am sure he is balanced with the rest of the party: just throw a few different challenges at them to prove this (and I don't mean simply doing the party over as an ego trip: just simply a few encounters where other members of the party shine... and save the day for the mega-damage barbarian).

Cheers
D

Cyraneth

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
The old Power Attack was nearly useless if you already did significant damage. The 3.5 version is actually worth using, as the old one usually reduced your average damage, rather than increase it.

Geoff.
Wouldn't it also be that, with 1.5 times the modifier instead of double it?

- Cyraneth

Cyraneth

First Post
Cyraneth said:
Wouldn't it also be that, with 1.5 times the modifier instead of double it?

- Cyraneth
Just remembered THE balancing factor... A fighter with a two-handed weapon is sorta all-offense (i.e. no shield), and so is a two-weapon fighter. A two-weapon fighter gains the bonus from Power Attack twice (3.5: provided the weapons are not light), while a two-handed weapon fighter only gains it once. It would thus only be fair, regarding the two-handed weapon fighter, that Power Attack has a x2 modifier for two-handed weapons.

Just for quick reference: Does the Power Attack bonus apply to the off-hand part of a double weapon? That is, is it only considered light for two-weapon fighting purposes?

- Cyraneth

Darklone

My newbie group fell silent last friday evening, stunned in awe as their level 6 barbarian was told to roll his damage as 1d12+19 after he would have hit AC 25.

Looking forward to their first anti giant encounter.

Shallown

First Post
As far as the MOnk question goes it says in flurry of blows they don't get a 1.5 str when using 2 handed weapons and that wether the weapon is 2 or 1 handed has no affect so I would assume normal (not X 2) power attack applies.

Just a thought

later

Mallus

Legend
Slightly OT...

...but since we're talking about Power Attack in 3.5E...

I just started playing an acrobatic fighter/rogue armed with a guisarme. A reach/trip/smack/tumble/please-don't-hit-me-I'm-not-a-tank kind of warrior.

Seeing as he's wielding a 2-handed weapon, the new Power Attack is a no-brainer. But how does Power Attack work when my attack sequence goes Trip - normal attack -possble AoO if target stands? Power Attack as written states that I have to activate it on my action --does that mean I have to take the to-hit penatly on the Trip, if I want it to be in effect for the potential follow-up swing? And related to that, could I use Power Attack during an AoO? Would I need to have declared using it prior to any opponent provoking an AoO? Could I choose to activate PA for the AoO? What if moved 15' toward a group of enemies than waited for them to enter my reach --looking for attacks on all of them via Combat Reflexes? Could I use Power Attack if I don't make an attack and choose to wait for the AoO's?

Any clarifications/suggestions would be appreciated.

Bauglir

First Post
As I understand it Power Attack lasts for a full round. So you 'activate' it on your turn, and from that point until the start of your next turn, every attack is a power attack..

Remove ads