D&D General Professional DMs making $45k/year off it?

Zardnaar

Legend
Free online games are not the same though.

I started playing online during COVID and there are plenty of free games but I have found many of the players that sign up for those games are not invested in it. It is also difficult to do a campaign in a free game because most free gamers are looking for something this Friday, not every Friday. One game in particular I played I did not have fun. The other three players in what was going to be a campaign wanted to murder hobo and just be "silly" for lack of a better word. There is nothing wrong with those kind of light games on occasion but it is hard to find a good game that is free.

As such I no longer play free games, I will gladly pay $15-$25 a session as the games are worth it.

On roll20 it seems you have a lot of full paid games and a lot of DMs waiting for players and not a lot in between.

It's hard to get reliable players. A lot want to play when they want drop in drop out. When you have 1-3 players doing that.....

ECMO3

Hero
I don't pay for dming currently - all my groups are going strong - but if I were to pay, I'd want more than just a game that happens. One thing that would push me toward paying is art assets - online that means enough to keep the visual style of the entire campaign consistent - all pc tokens, all monsters, all backgrounds in the same art style the whole way through turning the whole thing into a cohesive visual experience (and matching music), that's something I'd pay for.

In a live game it would mean minis and terrain.
The online paid campaigns I have paid for have this. As a matter of fact the DMs generally insist they make my token. They will ask for a picture or token of the character and then they will build a token with their own theme on it.

ECMO3

Hero
It's hard to get reliable players. A lot want to play when they want drop in drop out. When you have 1-3 players doing that.....
The games I have paid to play have been pretty stable. Life happens and I have missed one session, so have a few of the other guys and girls but not often.

We have had more players drop out completely (I think 4 players total in the 3 campaigns I am in right now) due to changes in the job and work hours or for money. However it was always at a time that could be worked into the story and we were able to fill that spot within a couple weeks.

Zardnaar

Legend
The games I have paid to play have been pretty stable. Life happens and I have missed one session, so have a few of the other guys and girls but not often.

We have had more players drop out completely (I think 4 players total in the 3 campaigns I am in right now) due to changes in the job and work hours or for money. However it was always at a time that could be worked into the story and we were able to fill that spot within a couple weeks.

Understandable. If someone's willing to pay to play probably means they're more motivated.

I've spent thousands and right now I can play irl but most potential players are students (read poor and unreliable exams, drinking, etc).

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
@Burnside keep us informed about the event please?

When doing in person games, how many of those are remote to you? How many DMs outside of your local area.

How many DMs and games do you currently manage?

Also do you ever host DM classes? Especially voice stuff and/or improv?

Also how stable are the groups?

Just a quick update because people asked: we are returning to in-person games this month, and will be running various monthly live events July-October: Live Events

The July & August events will be watching actors play. The September event is a multi-table epic. The October event will be a fancy site-specific game for just 6 players.

Grossing 45k as a sole proprietor is not very much. In the US you are responsible for self-employment taxes (in addition to income taxes). Plus you have no benefits like healthcare, retirements, sick days, etc (other than tax write-offs).

I used to know the math when I ran my own company, and of course the rates are dependent upon the income and the benefits depend upon what you want/find reasonable. But in short, 45k as a sole proprietor is like a 28-30k job with benefits. (or less).

tommybahama

Adventurer
I used to know the math when I ran my own company, and of course the rates are dependent upon the income and the benefits depend upon what you want/find reasonable. But in short, 45k as a sole proprietor is like a 28-30k job with benefits. (or less).

True that. I guess that's why a lot of paid DMs are from the UK/Ireland. Free healthcare. Does Paypal or Venmo 1099 you at the end of the year?

A lot of independent contractors use their spouse's health benefits. Our neighbor is a contractor and his wife is a teacher so they do fine. It works out nice if you can swing it.

Remove ads