Progress on N.E.W.

Tigerlil

First Post
Morrus, please end the suspense! What is the big one?

oh and I love the new stats, and all that comes with them.
new sheet looks sleeker as well.

the social defense is a good optional extra that I would love to see. Also just to give target numbers for skills used against a character. In some respects I guess that mental defense covers it thou doesn't it?

Tigerlil

First Post
They are good changes.
My initial gut reaction to what the stats encompass: (might be way off here)

Intuition - game wise used for random ideas, on the spot knowledge, searching/spotting.

Logic - calculations and research knowledge. Pattern recognition, hacking/programming.

Wisdom - ehhhh, I've never gotten wisdom in any other system, other than it's usually some sort of willpower or spiritual magic stat that also is used for spotting enemies for mystic reasons beyond logical reasoning... And being able to use old Chinese proverbs.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
They are good changes.
My initial gut reaction to what the stats encompass: (might be way off here)

Intuition - game wise used for random ideas, on the spot knowledge, searching/spotting.

Logic - calculations and research knowledge. Pattern recognition, hacking/programming.

Wisdom - ehhhh, I've never gotten wisdom in any other system, other than it's usually some sort of willpower or spiritual magic stat that also is used for spotting enemies for mystic reasons beyond logical reasoning... And being able to use old Chinese proverbs.

Wisdom? There's no Wisdom! There's INTUITION, LOGIC, and WILLPOWER. Your guesses are fairly close - LOG is knowledge, education, reasoning; INT is empathy, perception, etc.

It also means that INT can be used instead of AGI for ranged attacks (you use whichever is best, just like when choosing STR or AGI for melee). That de-emphasizes AGI as the uberstat (something [MENTION=6762606]LucasC[/MENTION] has noticed before).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
TikTok here is a good doctor, but he's not much better than C3PO when it comes to combat! Still, put him on high ground, give him chance to aim, and a decent quality weapon, he might hit something. He's much more useful as a medic and technician, though.

View attachment tiktok.jpg

A Social defense could be the combination of WILL, CHA, and REP.

It would be intriguing to look at also stating out a 'mental health' and 'social health'. Exhaustion, tiredness, etc could be mental attacks. Magic can be a mental attack that affects physical health, or mental health, or even social health.

Using the idea of 'social combat' to handle political arguments similar to Penumbra's "Dynasties and Demagogues" ruleset. basically a successful skill check reduced the targets objection to the argument by reducing the 'social hit points'. This could be INT or LOG based verbal 'attacks' and could be used in varying degrees of fidelity.

fx, bargaining with a merchant for a better price can be done in detail with each successful check the PC makes raises the low price by 10% and each successful check by the merchant lowers the high price by 10%. Or in general with one check against the merchants social defense and a 'damage' roll that raises the low price.

An exploit could be 'charming merchant' that grants a bonus to the bargaining based on your CHA.

That would give us three distinct resolution channels that use a unified mechanic.

And.. I like the 'preview' of the changes, can't wait to see the rules!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm just cleaning up, double checking, proof reading, and getting my handful of iconic characters done. I know there will be mistakes - especially where things have changed and I've missed a reference to it elsewhere. I'm aiming for a weekend release.

Remove ads