Progress on N.E.W.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just a quick note to let you know about some of the upcoming changes. Thanks so much for the playtest feedback. Actual play feedback is so useful, and a vital development process.

Species abilities, career abilities, age traits, attribute traits, and combat tricks have all been folded into a single "exploits" system.

Character tiers are gone. Multiple skill ranks are back (total of 10 for a starting character) with some restrictions. Skill ranks are expressed as dice in the same way attributes are (eg 3 ranks is +2d6).

Starting attributes are on average a point lower. Attributes other than AGI are given roles in combat.

REP works differently. Contacts are gone and replaced with an in-game contact dice pool a bit like LUCK. Age works a bit differently.

Some derived stats are changed (e.g. acrobatics can affect AGI). Every derived stat can be tweaked with skills.

The above two items make for slightly smaller dice pools.

Difficulty benchmarks are completely revised in line with a preview I've already posted in this forum.

Species have a suite of abilities (exploits) now, not just one.

Height and weight are different. Characters can end up being an atypical size category for their species.

New scientific and starship tricks (now exploits).

Electronic warfare is part of starship combat. The control computer is more important. Ships have an ELECTRONIC DEFENSE value alongside DEFENSE. Electronic attacks deplete CPUS cycles and shut down systems.

Starship combat setup is included (you've already seen this on this forum).

Starship stat blocks have a new format.

Errata applied throughout and many minor changes.

No new careers; no advancement on psionics yet.

$25,000 worth of art is underway...

I expect to show it to you in a week or so. Special thanks goes to [MENTION=6762606]LucasC[/MENTION] -- lots of this stuff comes from his thorough actual-play playtest reports. Remember, reinforce the good in your reports (so I know what to keep) and point out the bad. It's incredibly useful.

Lots of changes! I can't wait till you try it out!

Finally, if I have time, I'll add one new species to the game. Make your suggestions below!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Meet Gorrat! You should be able to derive quite a few system changes looking at these! Though I'd note that while Gorrat is a starting character, Sasha is an advanced character who has spent quite a few XP on skills and attributes.

View attachment gorrat.jpg

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Slow witted - +4 mental defense - LOL

Yeah, my idea was to use low attributes (like the old "detriments") but not penalise the player for having an interesting but not optimal character element. So the lowest and highest attributes grant access to attribute exploits, but even the ones with negative sounding names are beneficial in some way. That was, folks can play clumsy or slow or obnoxious characters without being punished for it.

So the description of illiterate - you can't read, but you know how to hide that fact. So you have learned to memorise common words as pictures, like "exit", "toilet", "fire!". So your visual memory is a bit better.

Noticed the really BIG change?

Last edited:

Remove ads