Level Up (A5E) (+) Project Chronicle: Curses and Corruption

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
The Witch's curse is less obvious than that of the other gods, and far more targeted, leading many to believe that mages of all stripes may have been the true cause of the terrors heaped upon us. The Witch's curse is the corruption of flesh, of blood, of heart, and mind. That which twists men into monsters. Her curse afflicts all arcanists, all who use her power that once was free and is now jealously guarded. Tempt not the Witch, my friends.

For temptation is hers, alone.

-The Chronicler-

Corruption. A complicated thing to consider when applying a penalty to players for choosing to play the game in a way they wish. But it is a part of the style, the identity, of the setting. But how do we manage such a thing? Well. By making it an -attractive- penalty. With ways to mitigate it. Grim Hollow, for example, provides a front-loading of benefits with it's transformations, causing slowly increasing penalties each joined with another benefit, weighting the change toward power.

I sincerely think this is the right idea. By making corruption attractive, and dangerous, players are more likely to interact with it in a variety of ways. Particularly when you expand this particular form of curse across the player spectrum. Grim Hallow also allows people to -choose- their Transformation, rather than having one assigned to them. This, too, is the right idea. And should be the default presumption.

Perhaps this choice could be made at Character Creation... To choose between the Lich, the Fiend, the Aberration, the Werebeast, the Vampire, the Dragon, the Primordial, and the Specter.

At each tier of transformation (4 tiers) you gain a specified Flaw. At Tier 1, you get both Boons and the Flaw for that level. At tiers 2, 3, and 4 you choose 1 Boon and gain the Flaw of that level.

But how to -become- corrupt? Grim Hallow handles the matter through level ranges (1-4, 5-10, 11-16, 17-20) with players accomplishing certain goals within a given level range, such as completing a Ritual, undertaking an exceptionally evil (Or good for their Seraph) act, and similar milestones. And then each individual transformation has it's -own- specific milestones. Such as the Werebeast killing an Alpha Lycanthrope, or establishing a pack of Werebeasts.

But for the purpose of reinforcing the idea of Corruption... of Magical and Moral affliction... How do we handle such a thing?

For Moral transformation it seems fairly simple. Cruel, wicked, and violent actions accumulate levels in a fairly straightforward manner. Killing of innocents, for example, or otherwise large and bombastic displays of wrongdoing should do the trick quite nicely. It makes it both easy and difficult to transform based on your intention. Someone who -wishes- to become a monster can intentionally do terrible things, while someone who doesn't wish to become a monster just... doesn't do those things.

But for spellcasters it's a bit more complex... Should we manage a point-based system where every spellcast grants a specific amount of "Corruption Points" and rituals cleanse a specific amount until you reach, say, 20 points and gain your first Tier of Corruption? That seems like it might be difficult or time-consuming to keep track of, overall.

I could really use some suggestions, if possible! Because right now the 20 point threshhold seems appropriate with cleansing rituals taking of specific quantities of corruption...

Compilation of Project Chronicle Links: Project Chronicle: Master List - The Homebrewery

Last edited:

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
They don't necessarily have to be 'evil' actions, they could just be more in accord with the (alien) morality of the Witch.

You could look at Paths of Enlightenment from the old Vampire: the Masquerade if you wanted to see what alien, 'evil' paths of immorality look like.

Mechanically, a 20-point threshold sounds reasonable enough. Dungeon Crawl Classics has a roll to avoid corruption with every spell; every casting might have a chance of inflicting corruption. I mean, it's one or two numbers that go up; it doesn't sound much different than tracking Sanity in Call of Cthulhu or HP in any game.

Steampunkette

Supporter
They don't necessarily have to be 'evil' actions, they could just be more in accord with the (alien) morality of the Witch.

You could look at Paths of Enlightenment from the old Vampire: the Masquerade if you wanted to see what alien, 'evil' paths of immorality look like.

Mechanically, a 20-point threshold sounds reasonable enough. Dungeon Crawl Classics has a roll to avoid corruption with every spell; every casting might have a chance of inflicting corruption. I mean, it's one or two numbers that go up; it doesn't sound much different than tracking Sanity in Call of Cthulhu or HP in any game.
That is true... Sanity and the like are something people often track. I guess I could work out a simple point system?

Should I do a single increase per level, though, or go odds?
Cantrip: 1 point of corruption
Level 1: 2 points of corruption
Level 2: 3 points of corruption
Level 3: 4 points of corruption
Level 4: 5 points of corruption
etc.
Or:
Cantrip: 1 point of corruption
Level 1: 3 points of corruption
Level 2: 5 points of corruption
Level 3: 7 points of corruption
Level 4: 9 points of corruption
etc.

If I go with the latter option I could set the different break points of corruption much higher over time that initially make it appear "Safer" to cast more spells, but you eat it up in strides.

20 points also gives me a nice range for Corruption Cleansing rituals. I could do them in 3s, 5s, 7s, 10s... With different functions for each ritual like material costs, duration, and potential participants.

One thing I wanted to do entirely was allow an herb chewed upon (Black Lotus) essentially allow you to ignore your Corruptive Flaws for a while, and still gain the benefits. With the obvious side effects of addiction and stuff.

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
It seems really hard to tell which system works better without trying it out in-game. Rising corruption values are seen in Symbaroum, DCC, and the various Conan RPGs, so it seems like a pretty common mechanic, though invoked in slightly different circumstances. (Yeah, I'm flipping through my collection.)

You could try having the numbers be thematic--prime numbers (3,5,7,9,11,13,17) are often seen as being 'magical' somehow; alternatively 'highly composite' numbers with lots of divisors include 4, 6, and 12. You could tie it into the various cultures you're inventing--Westerners seem to like having things in groups of 4 and 7, whereas the Chinese prefer 5 and 8.

I think Symbaroum had a system where the various 'character classes' of magic-user (roughly approximating cleric, druid, magic-user) had ways to defray the corruption, so it was much more dangerous to be an unaffiliated mage. For a sword and sorcery-themed game a plant seems much more apropos.

Steampunkette

Supporter
So... Symbaroum's corruption mechanics are pretty simple and interesting... But also too swingy, for me. Basically you've got 5 things to manage.

Resolute. A character attribute which shows your absolute corruption resistance (10 is normal, but 8 isn't uncommon)
Threshold. A lower number than your Resolute, typically 4-5, which is dangerous to cross over. If you cross your Threshold in a scene you gain Permanent Corruption.
Temporary Corruption. Whenever you do anything magical or interact with Blighted objects you gain 1d4 Temporary corruption.
Permanent Corruption. Whenever you exceed your Threshold you gain 1d4 Permanent Corruption.
Stigma. Whenever you use magic and gain Corruption you also gain a Stigma. It goes away when your corruption does.

The issue is that once your Corruption is equal to your Resolute you become an Evil NPC Blight on the world. But since your Threshold as a person with 8 Resolute is 4, rolling a 4 on a d4 of Temporary Corruption means you also immediately roll a d4 for Permanent Corruption. Which means you can cast 1 spell, roll 4 twice, and instantly become an Evil NPC if your Resolute is 8. Or, y'know, interact with a Blighted object unaware.

It's interesting, but -super- punishing. Instead of a tightrope act to avoid falling into evil it plays more like Russian Roulette.

Conan: Adventures in an Age Undreamed of, on the other hand handles all the Corruption up front.

When you gain your spells you lower your Resolve attribute by an amount of points equal to 2+Spells when you make the Pact to gain this magic. Leaving your character permanently crippled in that specific stat (And even more crippled when you make more pacts to expand your repertoire). Which I get? But it also leaves me kind of cold. I like Corruption to build up over time.

Primes could work. 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 17, and 19 would work really well... Would also mean that anyone who has avoided Corruption their entire career casts 1 9th level spell and is RIGHT on the border of being Transformed by their corruption...

Blue Orange

Gone to Texas
The primes get more spaced out as you go further up for mathematical reasons (more numbers to have as factors), but if you wanted to have the party caster manifesting more control as they get more powerful that might work.

If you're going to use primes for corruption you could have the cleansing rituals work in groups of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, etc. with highly composite numbers such as 12 being particular numbers of power. The primes, being indivisible, represent the alienness of elements out of the universe outside of human control, whereas composite (nonprime) numbers can be subdivided and thus controlled.

(Obligatory math note: 9 is not prime.)

Steampunkette

Supporter
The primes get more spaced out as you go further up for mathematical reasons (more numbers to have as factors), but if you wanted to have the party caster manifesting more control as they get more powerful that might work.

If you're going to use primes for corruption you could have the cleansing rituals work in groups of 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, etc. with highly composite numbers such as 12 being particular numbers of power. The primes, being indivisible, represent the alienness of elements out of the universe outside of human control, whereas composite (nonprime) numbers can be subdivided and thus controlled.

(Obligatory math note: 9 is not prime.)
Yup! I just got stuck on odds after 2, there, for a moment. My brain fixates because it is broken in specific ways.

So 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, and 23.

And then 4, 6, 8, 10, 12... I feel like five different rituals to remove corruption might honestly be too many. Could just do three at 4, 8, and 12. Or 3, 6, and 12...

Thoughts.

GuyBoy

Hero
I think there needs to be some opportunity to cleanse corruption, at least partially, but it shouldn’t be easy and might even be the totality of an adventure in itself. For example, Conan probably cleansed part of his soul in the Tower of the Elephant by killing the being to free it from its pain?

Steampunkette

Supporter
I think there needs to be some opportunity to cleanse corruption, at least partially, but it shouldn’t be easy and might even be the totality of an adventure in itself. For example, Conan probably cleansed part of his soul in the Tower of the Elephant by killing the being to free it from its pain?
I wouldn't say he cleansed himself in that moment. But there explicitly -are- ways within the Hyborian setting to remove Corruption and purify the soul. Often they require time spent in self-reflection, seeking forgiveness from the Gods, or engaging in rituals that are designed to remove corruption.

GuyBoy

Hero
The rat-featured man dropped the silver ring in Teerka’s palm, smiling somehow wickedly and obsequiously in the same expression.
She remembered Xrione’s scream as the moving sands caused the great block to descend trapping her in the tomb with the undead creature, her hand reaching imploringly for Teerka’s before it closed.
Teerka remembered stumbling away, back to the desert sands. Two camelid mounts awaiting but one rider.
No amount of cheap wine since. No amount of gold. No Phetarr leaf. No lovers. No friends. None had ever eased the shame of that moment in Teerka’s heart or soul. And now, Xrione’s ring.
“ My master said you would care. Said you would want to know,” the filth-crusted messenger, “Be at the west postern gate three hours after the sun sets. Come alone. You can keep the ring.” The man, or creature, melted back into the crowded souk.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases