Votes: 18 15.4%
  • I buy mostly at a FLGS, plus some items online

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I always buy everything at a FLGS

Votes: 18 15.4%

• Poll closed .

derelictjay

Explorer
I mostly buy online, partly because, its hard to find things here so far in the middle of nowhere (the south of Texas). Even the national/international stores have trouble shipping stuff down here, and that goes for anything (electronics, appliances, clothes, even food), very annoying.

%99.999 on-line. The only time I buy at a gaming store is when I happen to be in the market for a specific product and I know I'm going to be near the store soon. The only two LGS's I have reasonable access to are terrible, so I don't feel bad about not patronizing them. I'll buy from RPGShop, Amazon, or when I can, directly from the author.

Wombat

First Post
I buy physical books primarily at my FLGS, although I have gotten a couple at eBay; pdfs, of course, I buy on-line.

One of the main reasons I go to my FLGS is my Buy Local attitude. Money I spend there goes into my local community, thus marginally improving the local economy. It may cost me a little more, but in the end I get greater benefit as the people I am aiding are in the same area I live in, who will hire locals, pay local taxes, and thus generally make the neighborhood that much better.

I also love my local farmers' markets :)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Wombat said:
I buy physical books primarily at my FLGS, although I have gotten a couple at eBay; pdfs, of course, I buy on-line.

One of the main reasons I go to my FLGS is my Buy Local attitude. Money I spend there goes into my local community, thus marginally improving the local economy. It may cost me a little more, but in the end I get greater benefit as the people I am aiding are in the same area I live in, who will hire locals, pay local taxes, and thus generally make the neighborhood that much better.

I also love my local farmers' markets :)

Ditto!

My one exception was when I bought the 3.5 core rulebooks. My FLGS didn't offer any kind of deal at all (we asked, they said no), and I found an online source for all three books that got me all three books for the price of two at the FLGS, including shipping. It took forever to get the books, but I was in no hurry since we were not converting immediately (In fact we STILL haven't done it...)

I buy about 50/50 online and FLGS. Online, I tend to buy from Amazon.com or FRPGames.com. There are several reasons I don't buy from my FLGSs exclusivly. First, one only stocks the biggest of the new WotC releases. The other carries a good selection of books from many publishers, but at full price. If a book is less than $25 I'll buy it from him, but over that I go online. For every book I do buy online, I make sure to buy something from him, usually spending a lot more in the store than I saved on the more expensive books online.

Munin

First Post
The only products I buy online are pdfs or out of print.
I'm close friends with the owner of my FLGS, so it is a sharp sense of loyalty, wanting to support local gaming, that I do, even though I know I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

Kalendraf

Explorer
The selection at the local FLGS's is rather limited, so I'm forced to go online for quite a bit of the stuff I want. I voted 50/50, but it really depends on the item I'm after:

Books/Modules - buy local if available, otherwise order online.
Metal Miniatures - travel 70 miles to The Source. Have ordered online, but prefer to see mini up close for defects before purchasing.
Plastic D&D minis (boxes) - buy local if available and I can get a good deal (at least 10% off MSRP), otherwise order online.
Plastic D&D minis (singles) - online is the only option I've found.
PDFs - online

Remove ads