D&D 5E Proposed Magic Items - Long Sword of Balance and Ring of Nimbleness, comments welcome

redkobold

Explorer
For your use and enjoyment. Comments and critique welcome.

Long Sword of Balance
Weapon (long sword), rare (requires attunement)
You gain +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic long sword. Once you are attuned, the long sword gains the finesse property. Additionally, you have advantage on Acrobatics checks even if the sword is drawn.

Ring of Nimbleness
Ring, uncommon (requires attunement)
While wearing this ring, you can use your bonus action to Dash or Disengage. Once this special action is used, it can’t be used again until the next dawn.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
When I saw the name "Long Sword of Balance" my first thought was that its power would prevent you from being knocked prone.

Lanefan

Valmarius

First Post
They look good to me. Nothing super powerful, but definitely useful.

Not sure what this addition is supposed to mean though.
even if the sword is drawn.

It might be better to say something conclusive like "...advantage on Acrobatics checks while touching the sword."

MarkB

Legend
Not sure I'd bother with attunement on the ring. An attunement slot feels like a lot to dedicate to a once-per-day ability.

redkobold

Explorer
Not sure I'd bother with attunement on the ring. An attunement slot feels like a lot to dedicate to a once-per-day ability.

Yeah, the thought was more of a magic item for a low level character to help them escape if they got in over their head. A higher level character would probably not be interested. A rogue would have this ability and a wizard would have spells like expeditious retreat.

redkobold

Explorer
They look good to me. Nothing super powerful, but definitely useful.

Not sure what this addition is supposed to mean though.

It might be better to say something conclusive like "...advantage on Acrobatics checks while touching the sword."

I could also have said while carrying the sword but I wanted to be clear that it worked while sheathed and also if out. I could see a DM saying that you could not keep your balance well with a heavy sword in one hand while trying to move swiftly along a narrow board or something. I also wanted to maybe inspire a player to have the character try some stunt while fighting like jumping or flipping over a foe then attacking after landing.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I'd say the ring is basically too weak. Give it another always-on ability, maybe +10 ft speed or something.

werecorpse

Adventurer
IMO avoid immunity to being knocked prone (I dislike immunities as a rule) - if you want to make it help out re prone give advantage on saves and/or only takes 5' to rise from prone. This weapon really helps out a Dex fighter - Str fighters may get jealous.
Re the ring due to attunement it may eventually become discarded but that depends on the magic of your campaign. Flavour wise I would make it boots or something else rather than a ring. If it granted misty step 1/long rest (like a low grade cape of the mountebank) it would achieve a similar result but be more magical & not feel like it steps on the rogues special toes.

But my comments are just personal flavour stuff. Both items work.

Remove ads