• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Proud Nails?

Spatula

Explorer
Getting back on topic...
using the terminology which WotC devs introduced a while ago, are there any 'proud nails' for you in 4e yet?
The limits on magic item use per day, that changes as you progress past encounters. I understand the balance reasons for it, but oy is it clunky and non-intuitive.

LittleFuzzy

First Post
There are no random encounters in 4e adventure design. Every encounter is there for a reason, so that the players are constantly continuing towards a story, rather than bumbling through random detached monsters with no connection other than appearing on the same table.

There are no random encounters in 4e? Tell that to the two random encounter tables in the Thunderspire. Or better yet, tell it to page 193 in the DMG. Random encounters are still in. In fact, WotC went a step further and threw in guidelines on how to design a spur-of-the-moment random dungeon. Odd that WotC devoted more pages to something that doesn't exist than it did to non-squashed 3d encounter-environments

edit: dang ninjas are everywhere.

Last edited:

boolean

Explorer
I'm still getting grumpy at the gaming table over the fact that I can jump up onto a table, but can't jump down. Either I train in acrobatics, climb, or land prone. (as written, anyway)

How so? IIRC, you only fall prone after a fall if you take falling damage, and you only take falling damage if the fall in ten feet or more. Jumping down from a table is fine, as long as the table is nine feet or less.

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
How so? IIRC, you only fall prone after a fall if you take falling damage, and you only take falling damage if the fall in ten feet or more. Jumping down from a table is fine, as long as the table is nine feet or less.

OK... Really tall table then...

Still frustrates me that my 4e character can't jump down!

CapnZapp

Legend
The illumination rules bug me - bright light so many squares then DARKNESS. How does that work with low light vision? The rules don't tell me... I know what they are trying to do making the game faster and all, but telling my eladrin and elf players that they get no extra benefit to see beyound the illuminated torch area because the bright light "screws up their IR vision cameras" was painful.
The cheap and easy availability of Sunrods in particular makes low-light vision almost irrelevant.

(I say almost, because you still benefit from it if you're on a scouting mission that's 1) overland 2) during nighttime)

But look here for more on this: http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/247654-light-sources.html (let's keep this thread to introducing the nails; not how to hammer them down)

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Teensy question that I implied, but should have more straightforwardly asked:

Is the irrelevance of cloth armor a 'proud nail' or just a pet peeve?

Remove ads