• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

PS3 RPG Titles???

Atreides

First Post
So apparently my parents decided they wanted a Blu-Ray to go with their Flatscreen - the kindly BB salesman sold them on a PS3 as their player.

My 16 year old anime-loving daughter is wondering if there are any good RPG style games for the PS3? I am a PC person - so I really don't know. I know FF XXIII will come out eventually - but are there any other good RPG games that a semi-geek female teenager will enjoy?

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

Mallus

Legend
Surprisingly, there aren't a lot of anime-inspired JRPG's for PS3 yet.

Valkyria Chronicles is a very good RPG/squad-based tactical wargame hybrid. Don't let that wordy description put you off, though. It's like a WWII movie directed by Hayao Miyazaki (My Neighbor Totoro, Spirited Away), with a ton of quirky characters and romance. Even the tanks are adorable.

I've read Eternal Sonata is good (and a lot more traditional).

There are a metric ton of good JPRG's available for the PS2. Is your PS3 backward compatible (actually, if it's new, it probably isn't).

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
For the PS3, there surprisingly ISN'T a ton of RPG's to choose from. I would look into backward-compatibility for your machine. There's a metric ton of great RPG's for both PS1 and PS2. :(

For PS3 specifically?

Other RPG [or RPG-like] titles I'd recommend? (Not knowing the tastes in question, I'd review these before buying, obviously.)

Tales of Vesperia (The "Tales" series in general is quite good.)
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (This won a number of awards a few years back.)
Fallout 3 (There's now some good Downloadable Content [DLC] as well.)
Rise of the Argonauts
Valkyria Chronicles
Disgaea 3

Don't disregard other non-RPG titles, either. (Some of these are PS specific, others are multi-platform.)
Worth checking out, IMO:
Little Big Planet
Metal Gear Solid 4
Drakes Fortune
SW: The Force Unleashed
Mirror's Edge
Ratchet & Klank: Tools of Destruction

Hope this helps!

Remove ads