PSA: "Dead" games are still playable

MGibster

Legend
Not on-line. I play non-mainstream games, and have never had any problem finding players. In fact, I'm currently above my preferred headcount. There's a huge demand for long-term weekly campaigns.
This is a good point. If you're in San Diego, you might have some trouble finding people who want to play Living Steel, or have even ever heard of it, but online play allows you to connect with people in Dallas, Detroit, Denver, or Des Moines giving you an opportunity to play you might not otherwise have had. Also, with the proliferation of (legal) PDFs being made available, you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of time or money to pick up old books that won't ever be printed again. Though, I should note, it does not appear a though Living Steel is actually available at this time in PDF form.

This is a good point. If you're in San Diego, you might have some trouble finding people who want to play Living Steel, or have even ever heard of it, but online play allows you to connect with people in Dallas, Detroit, Denver, or Des Moines giving you an opportunity to play you might not otherwise have had. Also, with the proliferation of (legal) PDFs being made available, you don't necessarily have to spend a lot of time or money to pick up old books that won't ever be printed again. Though, I should note, it does not appear a though Living Steel is actually available at this time in PDF form.
Ironically, I have the boxed set of Living Steel. It has narrowly avoided the trash can during the latest purges of my RPG collection.

dagger

Adventurer
And I've discovered I cannot stand it anymore, and 1E I find even worse.
I hold no nostalgia for AD&D despite it being my first RPG.

Not everyone thinks it holds up. Nor does everyone need to agree on whether it does or not...

Technically, THAC-0 does NOT match the AD&D 1E rules. It ignores the flat spots on the tables.
It's close enough, and you can use 1e or 2e monster manuals on the fly with either.

Remove ads