Psergei, NE Greater Goddess of Fire

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Bront said:
I would think you'd be better having it apply to all desert domain spells only and always on, much like healing, good, and other similar abilities, without the draining effect. It's boring, but it works.
Yeah, very boring. =P What if it applied only to desert domain spells but still blighted the land? It would always be "on", but if there is plantlife nearby, it gets destroyed.

The Survival thing doesn't really fit her theme of evil and destruction.

Boddynock

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
What if it applied only to desert domain spells but still blighted the land? It would always be "on", but if there is plantlife nearby, it gets destroyed.
That's really what I had in mind with my earlier comment. :)

Bront

The man with the probe
Non-sentient plant life.

Another option would be to to allow a death touch like ability to plants usable once per day. Similar to the Death power, only it caused actual damage to plants.

Boddynock

First Post
Bront said:
Non-sentient plant life.
How to rile a treant without trying. :lol:

Bront said:
Another option would be to to allow a death touch like ability to plants usable once per day. Similar to the Death power, only it caused actual damage to plants.
Death touch against plants is pretty limited. :\ How about death touch against those creature opposed to the domain ... plants, stone, water, ice-cream vendors ...

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
Death touch against plants... wow, I don't think I've ever actually battled a plant creature in D&D, ever. My experience aside, I think plant death touch is... mostly useless. =D

My favorite idea so far is the always on +1 CL to Desert domain spells with the blight effect for flavor.

Here's my official proposal, then.

------------------

Desert Domain

Granted Power

You cast spells on the Desert domain spell list at +1 caster level.

Also, when casting a spell from the Desert domain spell list while in an area with plant life, you may choose to blight the life around you, creating dead spot like a limited cancer. The boundary of the dead spot is a circle centered on you, with a radius of 1 foot per level of the spell being cast.

Within the boundary of the dead spot, all non-sentient plants instantly die and shrivel and all water evaporates, leaving behind an area of dry, dead husks and dust. Living creatures (and sentient plants) within the boundary of the dead spot are not directly affected, but plants can find no sustenance in the dust of the dead spot, water-breathing creatures die quickly when water turns to dust, and mobile animals know enough to leave the area alone. After 30 days, the effect ends, and the dead spot may be colonized naturally over the course of several years by bacteria, plants, and animals.

1st Endure Elements
2nd Soften Earth and Stone
3rd Diminish Plants
4th Hallucinatory Terrain
5th Blight
6th Move Earth
7th Control Weather
8th Horrid Wilting
9th Elemental Swarm (any, except Water)

Bront

The man with the probe
It wasn't death touch, it was actual damage. 1d6/level once per day damage to plants as a touch attack.

And you've never faced off against Mycanids? Shambling Mounds? Treants? Reapers? Elves?

I don't like the blighting effect for 2 reasons. 1, mechanicaly, it gives a huge negitive and 2, it gives no real positive. As writen, it's more of a bonus detriment.

Rae ArdGaoth

Explorer
I'm reasonably certain that she'll pass, eventually. Also, I've used Psergei as a deity in one of my adventures, so she's definitely worshipped by someone. I'd say it's safe to use her as a deity.

Regarding the Desert Domain, the blight effect seems to be getting less of a response than I'd have liked. So I'll nix that, and say "+1 caster level to all Desert Domain spells, regardless of whether or not they are prepared in the domain slot."

Votes? I think I need one more. =D (EDIT: Psergei actually needs one more, the Desert Domain needs 3...)

Last edited:

Trouvere

Explorer
Rae ArdGaoth said:
So I'll nix that, and say "+1 caster level to all Desert Domain spells, regardless of whether or not they are prepared in the domain slot."
That's... adequate, but it's not very useful with those particular spells.

+1 CL usefully increases the areas of effect for Soften Earth and Stone and Hallucinatory Terrain. It merely increases the casting range for Diminish Plants (from 600 to 640' when you can first cast it) and Move Earth (840' to 880' - that'll make all the difference!). +1 CL is good for Blight from CL 9 to 14 until the damage caps at 15d6, and improves Horrid Wilting at levels 17, 18 and 19 only, until the damage caps. Elemental Swarm lasts 10 minutes longer, when it lasts 170-200 minutes anyway. Increased caster level has no effect on Endure Elements or Control Weather (I suppose increased CL can be generally useful against dispel attempts).

I think there must be some domain power that's more useful and flavourful. Plant death touch 1/day doesn't work for me, since that just means Blight would be chosen less often.

I can't think of one, though. Grant turning or rebuking vs. Vermin?

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rebuke/Command Oozes? +2 to saves against dehydration? Ability to shape sand into solid objects that last for 1 minute per cleric level? Some combination of these?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases