• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Pseudo-poll]/[Study] Female Fantasy Names

William Ronald

Explorer
Here are some female PCs that I have seen. I have only played a female character at conventions.

Siobhan
Glenoria
Beruthiel
Arwen
Berengaria
Romily
Arwen
Alissa

(I would have to check some old records for more. In general, most players I know tend to use cultrual, historical or literary names for their characters. I think it helps to have some sort of consistent naming schema in campaigns.)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Gez said:
1st question: Is she a rogue?
2nd question: If yes, do you speak French?
(Rapine is old slang for theft.)

Actually Rapine as used in English is a somewhat archaic word for the act of pillage/plundering too (no doubt derived from French). I beleive the words Raven, Ravenous, Rapacious and Rape all have the same origin too.

As to the topic at hand It would be an interesting exercise to see if any such convention applies to my native language (a Polynesian language in which ALL sylables (and thus all words) end in a vowel.)

as to character names I 've used

Macabre
Tula
Kelea
Hinehou

masque

First Post
barsoomcore said:
Here's a simple bit of analysis: check out how many Japanese girl's names end in "o". Those that don't end in either "a" or "i", pretty much.

But then, most Japanese boy's names end in a vowel, too, I'd say.

Well, there's a specific reason for that. As far as I understand it, Japanese has a mora (like a syllable, but not quite) based system, rather than a letter based system, in that their unit of writing is, for the most part, CV (consonants-vowel), with 5 V-only mora, and a single C-only mora (-n). Well, and the glottal stop mora, but that can't occur at the end of a word anyway (there are always exceptions, mostly in slang).

Examples: a, i, u, e, o, ka, ki, ku, ke, ko, sa, shi (si), su, se, so, ta, chi (ti), tsu (tu), te, to (depending on the system of romanization one uses), etc

the "ko" mora can sometimes be written to mean "child," so that is one reason why some female names end in it. For instance, Akiko=Autumn Child; Chieko=Wise Child.

Forgive me, it's been a while, in case any of that is incorrect.

With the way the language is structured, it would be improbable that a name would end with a consonant. Most words don't end with a consonant as it is.

Thus ends the impromptu Japanese linguistics lessons. Hope I didn't mess it up too badly.

seasong

First Post
Blossom (warrior errant from high magic jungle setting)
Yug (dwarven heretic/repentant - equivalent of 'mud')
Lilyananta (munchkin 1ed fighter/m-u/thief, african sorceress)
Zero (sci-fi uber martial artist, former geneslave)
Catava (weird religion fanatic priestess)
Katrine (wizard, pretty generic)
George Dash (rogue, always dressed as a boy)
Twilight tiTamme (1/2 demon necromancer)
Iokles (1/2 dragon minotaur cavalier)
Antiopeia (human mounted archer - named for a little known amazon)
Meg (modern college student in a horror campaign)

...and of course...

Silverleaf (unicorn-riding elf maiden paladin with a greatsword, 1st ed)

There were a few others, but I can't remember their names. Too bad you're not looking for male names - I'ved got a metric buttload of those :).

Orange were my favorite characters :D

Last edited:

Magic Slim

First Post
yay triple post again.

Thanks again for your participation, may have it been by providing names, linguistical analysis or jokes of various order :)

Slim

Last edited:

Magic Slim

First Post
hehe just found out that a message must be at least 3 characters long. I guess I can't say "no", then...

Slim

Last edited:

Sanackranib

First Post
I very seldom run female pc's. however 2 I can remember off the top of my head were:
1] Anastasia - a human female rogue
2] Desdemona - a human female mage/thief

Wolf72

Explorer
Dher (not der as in duh ... but kind of like dare, but not as 'a' sounding ... oh wait, the 'e' sound in guerra). Anyway that was a Male Half-elf Sorceror ...

then (hey the e sound in then works) my PC was reincarnated after being killed (24 pts of dmg and I had 7 left!) by the party's fighter, who was possessed, *grumble grumble* ... into a human female (no stat change, I almost had centaur) it became:

Dherra

Remove ads