D&D 5E Psi warrior?

Zardnaar

Legend
My last campaign wasn't working out so I started over letting the PCs keep their level and carry a magic item (or equivalent) forward to new pc.

Also incorporate Tasha's into the game from the ground up.

Anyway Drow themed game pick an appropriate race to Underdark. One player suggested Githyanki a s I said sure.

Anyway he made a level 7 psi warrior using point buy. His character looks great and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

Has anyone else seen one in action? Seems to be a Jedi to me;). Overall thoughts on subclass are fine.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
I had a psi warrior half-giant pc in my 3.5e campaign, and it seemed really fun. Unfortunately, when we switched over to 5e, the psi classes had not yet been published. And neither had half-giant race. I don’t know if it is even now. Anyway, I made her a custom race, and she remade the character as Eldritch Knight. I’m thinking of suggesting her to remake back to psi warrior.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I guess now the psi-warrior would be a subclass. Some time in the time I suggested the new name "psiloi" based in the "nude" ancient Greek warrior.

I love this!

I have been struggling with coming up with some "cool/evocative" name for a "Psychic Warrior" class in my own homebrew, to no avail. This is PERFECT! The light or no armor...swift on their feet...the "ranged weaponry" angle can be worked in, though doesn't need to be integral to the concept...or give them, like, some kind of "psychic darts" or "psychic sling" or something treated as thrown or missile weapons for an innate power...their version of a smite or something...

AND has historic and mythological legitimacy (not the psychic part, of course, but still not just some made-up compound word).

This is AWESOME. I am completely stealing/using this.

One THOUSAND "Thank You"s!

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I was looking up the forum to read up about this class when I stumbled upon this thread. This is probably too late for you, but you could consider the psi warrior as some kind of "sword sage" who uses ancient mystical techniques.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I was looking up the forum to read up about this class when I stumbled upon this thread. This is probably too late for you, but you could consider the psi warrior as some kind of "sword sage" who uses ancient mystical techniques.
That could work but it may be two sides to a similar coin. For my homebrew game/setting/system, I have the classes all broken down into categories: two that use/have magic and/or supernatural powers of some kind - the Mystics and Wizards; and two that do not use/have magic built into the class at all - the Warriors and the Rogues (there are still skills and "feat-background-trait-like" Themes that can give one of these classes some access to magic/supernatural powers).

The [base] Psychic and associated psychically (psionicly) powered permutations thereof fall under the "Wizard" classes: users of magic and/or supernatural powers inherent to them/their mastery and control. The Psychics, clearly, possess "mental" powers of some supernatural origin, not using sorcery or "spells," as such.

So, for my game, the Psychic [who knows how to do] Warrior [stuff] would fall under the umbrella of a Wizard class: Someone with access to supernatural mental powers, permitted some minor access to armor, limited weaponry, and martial training/talent for using those powers in combat.

The "sword sage"/kensai/master of the "way of the sword" kind of guy, to my mind, would fall under on the opposite side of that coin...under the aegis of a "Warrior" class. Someone whose expertise and "special-ness" comes from their combat ability, their completely amazing exacting use of their weapon of choice (most commonly, if not exclusively, a sword), and even maybe some philosophic or "mysticism connection" with their blade stuff that would feel/play like "chi powers" without being actual spells or magic...incredible, amazing, even unbelievable feats to any other kind of warrior...but nothing supernatural (like teleporting around the field of battle or turning your blade into a lightsabre), no magic.

All that longwindedness said, I DO like the sword-sage/kensai concept for a character class (beyond just, "I'm an expert swordsman" that any fighter or knight or any other warrior could bill their character as/put into the PC's narrative). I have toyed with setting up such a class to make/use.

The "psychic-powered" warrior, though, using their "magic/mutant powers" in combat is something else.

PS: And I am ALL FOR having different directions/avenues for players to pursue their character concepts. Not 'infinite" (which invariably leads to option paralysis), but "multiple/different." And having a "Psiloi" psychic powers warrior type AND a "Kensei" swordmaster meditative-sage type that can provide different pathways to a similar, while not exactly the same, character is nothing but a plus in my book/game. I could also see both kinds of characters belonging to the same "martial order/college/dojo/pseudo-religious organization/etc..." in my setting.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases