Psion class (Mearls, Happy Fun Hour)

Zardnaar

Legend
I haven't seen the latest streams, so could someone explain the rationale behind the possible Bard subclass? Seems unnecessary.

Glad he's shifted the name to Psion. Mystic felt to close to Monk in namesake. Maybe because I have memories of the very monk-like Mystic from Rules Cyclopedia.

Same the mystic was a monk by another name and the Mystic was also in 2E as a priest class.

Yaarel

He Mage
I haven't seen the latest streams, so could someone explain the rationale behind the possible Bard subclass? Seems unnecessary.

I know, right?

The bard is already obviously psionic.

Telepathy mind manipulation, clairsentience, psychometabolism, sound psychokinesis.

Heh. Why just make one subclass psionic, when the whole bard class is psionic?

This particular subclass seems to focus on manifestations of emotion.

I guess the bard will also be the go-to for the archetype of a ‘psychic healer’.

Yaarel

He Mage
The Mystic was also in 2E as a priest class.

Actually, when I think of a ‘mystic’, I think of a spiritual person who contemplates consciousness. Could be monotheistic (eg. Jewish kabbalah) or nontheistic (eg. Buddhist enlightenment) or animistic (eg. Australian Aborigine dreamtime).

It seems a great name for a psionic cleric.

Zardnaar

Legend
Actually, when I think of a ‘mystic’, I think of a cleric that contemplates consciousness. Could be monotheistic (eg. Jewish kabbalah) or nontheistic (eg. Buddhist enlightenment) or animistic (eg. Australian Aborigine dreamtime).

It seems a great name for a psionic cleric.

Yeah makes a decent amount of sense for a psionic cleric. The 2E one cast priest spells and did something with candle magic IIRC.

CapnZapp

Legend
Talk about reinventing the wheel.

What's the production status? Another year of UA? Two? Or just more endless video doodling?

Or are they actually going to give us 5E psionics before we go into retirement..?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I know, right?

The bard is already obviously psionic.

Telepathy mind manipulation, clairsentience, psychometabolism, sound psychokinesis.

Heh. Why just make one subclass psionic, when the whole bard class is psionic?

This particular subclass seems to focus on manifestations of emotion.

I guess the bard will also be the go-to for the archetype of a ‘psychic healer’.
I liked the ardent in 3.5 and especially 4e, so I'm pretty happy if it makes in as the psychic bard.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I’d be concerned if the lead designer for D&D *didn’t* like Moorcock... ;)
The fact that Mike Mearls knows Moorcock is good; the fact that he knows Moorcock AND Overwatch is even better. Ideally, you want a D&D designer to be both aware and respectful of D&D's history, but also aware of trends in current pop culture, especially fantasy.

The fact that Mike Mearls knows Moorcock is good; the fact that he knows Moorcock AND Overwatch is even better. Ideally, you want a D&D designer to be both aware and respectful of D&D's history, but also aware of trends in current pop culture, especially fantasy.

Babylon 5 would be my go-to reference for psionics.

Tallifer

Hero
As long as I can play a psionic Bene Gesserit martial artist. "Fear is the mind killer."

Bene Gesserit.jpg

Pompeius Izabelle Giulius.jpg

Remove ads