• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Psionic ability Cause Decay

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
Folks:
The other day one of my players had a Psionic with the “CauseDecay” ability; however, none of us knew how to handle it.

The book says
“This power works only against inanimate objects. Thepsionicist’s touch causes instant decay: metal rusts, wood splits, cloth fallsto dust. The DM rolls a saving throw vs. acid for the item touched. If thisfails, the item or maximum of 60 pounds of it – is consumed by decay within oneround”.

What does this mean when the player touches armor or aweapon? How should I handle this? I wanted to give penalties to AC when armoris touch, and I wanted to give hit/damage penalties to weapons when touched –however, I am not sure if there is an official rule I should use.

I am looking for suggestions on how to handle this.

Thanks
JJ

I don't know what source you copied-and-pasted from, but it doesn't work well with this forum. It doesn't just put black text on a black background, but when quoting I could scarcely read it due to all the font baggage.

The other day one of my players had a Psionic with the “Cause Decay” ability; however, none of us knew how to handle it.

The book says “This power works only against inanimate objects. The psionicist’s touch causes instant decay: metal rusts, wood splits, cloth falls to dust. The DM rolls a saving throw vs. acid for the item touched. If this fails, the item or maximum of 60 pounds of it – is consumed by decay within one round”.

What does this mean when the player touches armor or a weapon? How should I handle this? I wanted to give penalties to AC when armor is touch, and I wanted to give hit/damage penalties to weapons when touched –however, I am not sure if there is an official rule I should use

A lot of 2e rules weren't clearly written, and psionics was also pretty bad at this.

By Rules As Written, you could destroy a weapon or piece of armor within one round. So not damaged armor, but no armor, and not a damaged weapon, but no weapon.

Of course, that's hideously unbalanced. I think I'd inflict a 1d6 point penalty to attack/damage or AC. (So a sword might take a -1 to -6 penalty to hit and damage, and armor would lose 1 to 6 points of AC up to its maximum value). A high roll could nearly destroy plate anyway (assuming plate is 60 pounds or less, that is). Even that's pretty nasty, but then this power does require a to-hit roll and a power check.

jaz0nj4ckal

First Post
I don't know what source you copied-and-pasted from, but it doesn't work well with this forum. It doesn't just put black text on a black background, but when quoting I could scarcely read it due to all the font baggage.
Odd - I used MS Notepad to copy and paste my text. Thanks for replying to my post anyway - sorry for the font baggage.

A lot of 2e rules weren't clearly written, and psionics was also pretty bad at this.

By Rules As Written, you could destroy a weapon or piece of armor within one round. So not damaged armor, but no armor, and not a damaged weapon, but no weapon.

Of course, that's hideously unbalanced. I think I'd inflict a 1d6 point penalty to attack/damage or AC. (So a sword might take a -1 to -6 penalty to hit and damage, and armor would lose 1 to 6 points of AC up to its maximum value). A high roll could nearly destroy plate anyway (assuming plate is 60 pounds or less, that is). Even that's pretty nasty, but then this power does require a to-hit roll and a power check.

Thanks for the idea - yeah I thought, the rules as written, were greatly unbalanced, so I wanted to have penalties, or other restrictions.

Remove ads