D&D 5E Psionic Arcane Tradition

Fenris447

Explorer
It looks pretty good, and pretty close to what I'd want if there was any place for this kind of character in my homebrew world.

Jesting aside, there are a lot of psionic threads just now. This one at least is about the new mechanic and not about older editions.

Couldn't agree more. I'm noodling a full psion class in my head right now, and it's very much focused on using the new psi die mechanic. I would think a full class would not only include and enhance it, but be the best at it. It's pretty obvious this is the direction WOTC is heading, so it should be expanded on if you want your homebrew psionic classes/subclasses to fit with what will soon be established.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I've been looking at old 2e kits, 3e prestige classes, and 4e paragon paths for more ideas on subclasses. Some won't work or are already covered like the prestige class combining arcane magic and psionics would essentially be any arcane caster class with a psi subclass. Otherwise there are a lot of past ideas that I think could be mined for ideas. Other media has some ideas as well, the mesmer from guild wars 2 that uses illusions and misdirection could be another fighter subclass or perhaps a bard or rogue... I wouldn't be surprised if different people build it differently and assign it to different classes.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
It looks pretty good, and pretty close to what I'd want if there was any place for this kind of character in my homebrew world.

Couldn't agree more. I'm noodling a full psion class in my head right now, and it's very much focused on using the new psi die mechanic. I would think a full class would not only include and enhance it, but be the best at it. It's pretty obvious this is the direction WOTC is heading, so it should be expanded on if you want your homebrew psionic classes/subclasses to fit with what will soon be established.
What kind of ideas do you have for a full Psion class? If they are the master of psionics then they might have an additional ability to increase their psi die by 1 (up to the starting size) whenever they have a short rest. Since they will be relying upon the psi die more than other classes, I think they'd need more ways to maintain it. That or psi replenishment is able to be used more often throughout the day.

Fenris447

Explorer
Overall, I'm leaning toward a psi (spell) points system for casting. They would cast spells, but only in terms of gameplay, not actual class fantasy.* They would ignore all spell components, which means the spell list would have to be curated to not have normally costly spells available for free. So instead of making a duplicate of Mage Hand as a psionic power, they can just... take Mage Hand without components. For higher level spells that normally have restrictive component costs, you could build a system like the Warlocks' Mystic Arcanum to allow these powers without components, at the cost of psi dice or something.

The psi dice would interact with the psi points. I don't have hard numbers, as this is all in my head. But in theory there would be ways to spend one to bolster the other. They also should get multiple psi die as they level, potentially 1 extra per tier of play. Again, I haven't done the math. But I'm thinking they could lower one die to raise another, sort of a "mental balance" kinda thing.

And then of course the dice would be used to bolster their existing powers. I'd look to the existing uses of psi dice from this UA, plus metamagics, lock invocations, and even superiority die for inspiration here.

* I'm a firm believer in not reinventing the wheel. I think the spell-based implementation of the Artificer in 5e was beautiful. I have built an entire Artificer character whose every 'spell' comes out of a BFG he's built, and it works perfectly fine RAW. It's just a matter of allowing yourself to see 5e spellcasting as a game system that can be described as any number of effects manifesting. A lightning bolt can be summoned by a Wizard's spell, a Druid's communion with nature, an Artificer's device, or a Psion's mind. Same spell, same effect, just described differently. And that difference in description is meaningful to me.

Remove ads